Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1990 G2500 w/5.7 Dies without warning

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2022, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 G2500 w/5.7 Dies without warning

We have a 1990 G2500 van with a 5.7. It dies suddenly. Happens randomly at various speeds. More so when lower RPM's. If I crank it a while it will start back up. I pulled a plug wire while it was turning over to restart it I saw spark( verified three times). I had no gas spraying in the TBFI. If I spray a little carb cleaner in the TBFI it will fire up and stay running. I drove around with the doghouse and air cleaner off and when it would die I saw No gas spraying, but as soon as I sprayed a little cleaner it would fire up (did this many times). What am I missing? It seems like both TBFI's are turning off at the same time and then they turn back on when I spray the cleaner. I don't get it. Haaaalp!
Old February 21st, 2022, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wa9zug
We have a 1990 G2500 van with a 5.7. It dies suddenly. Happens randomly at various speeds. More so when lower RPM's. If I crank it a while it will start back up. I pulled a plug wire while it was turning over to restart it I saw spark( verified three times). I had no gas spraying in the TBFI. If I spray a little carb cleaner in the TBFI it will fire up and stay running. I drove around with the doghouse and air cleaner off and when it would die I saw No gas spraying, but as soon as I sprayed a little cleaner it would fire up (did this many times). What am I missing? It seems like both TBFI's are turning off at the same time and then they turn back on when I spray the cleaner. I don't get it. Haaaalp!
If fuel delivery fails could your fuel pump be going out? I think you can put a gauge on the return line to monitor pressure (someone keep me honest here). Also, if you haven used a TBI rebuild kit in a while they work wonders (if it's not pump related). I removed both injectors in my 305 TBI and cleaned them and noticed a huge difference in how they sprayed afterwards (along with the rebuild kit).
Old February 21st, 2022, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GBousley
If fuel delivery fails could your fuel pump be going out? I think you can put a gauge on the return line to monitor pressure (someone keep me honest here). Also, if you haven used a TBI rebuild kit in a while they work wonders (if it's not pump related). I removed both injectors in my 305 TBI and cleaned them and noticed a huge difference in how they sprayed afterwards (along with the rebuild kit).
Thanks for the reply. It stops spraying like a switch is turned off. It starts spraying as soon as I spray some carb cleaner (or starting fluid) in the TB, It will run and then die quickly without a stutter. BTW never heard of a TBI rebuild kit.
Old February 21st, 2022, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Do these TBI's have fuel pressure regulated to them? How? Is it vacuum?
Old February 21st, 2022, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. It stops spraying like a switch is turned off. It starts spraying as soon as I spray some carb cleaner (or starting fluid) in the TB, It will run and then die quickly without a stutter. BTW never heard of a TBI rebuild kit.
See: https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...-tbi/gmc/g2500
Replaces all gaskets, and fuel regulator. As for TBI, I know it needs a specific pressure / volume from the pump, and I'm sure there's a return line to the tank. Not sure on the specific numbers.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 7:38 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Throttle Body Injection runs about 13-15 PSI from a pump in the tank, which you should be able to hear running.

Did we replace the filter? Is the tank dirty?

These are OBD-1 systems and can be checked for trouble codes by connecting a wire (bent paper clip works) between A and B terminals on diagnostic link, turn ignition on and count flashes of check engine light. It shows two digit codes by flashing each one three times. 12 is normal. They will not give as much information as an OBD-II system does but it can be a help.

Old February 22nd, 2022, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Does that rebuild kit give you the stuff to rebuild the pressure regulator, or is that a separate item?
Old February 22nd, 2022, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Does that rebuild kit give you the stuff to rebuild the pressure regulator, or is that a separate item?
Yes, it's the small orange piece (gasket) with a spring. Just make sure you enter your vehicle details and ensure the kit matches your application.
Old March 6th, 2022, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Popped in a TBFI rebuild kit and VIOLA, no more issues! Talk about nailin' it! Thank you O wise sages.
Old March 7th, 2022, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Popped in a TBFI rebuild kit and VIOLA, no more issues! Talk about nailin' it! Thank you O wise sages.
Awesome! Glad that worked out!