Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 Express 1500 V6 fuel pump/fuel gauge related problems

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2021, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Express 1500 V6 fuel pump/fuel gauge related problems

Hello, i have a problem with my Express 1500, im gonna tell what happened and what i did until now to try to fix the problem, maybe somebody had the same problem and know how to fix:

- at the beginning was only the fuel gauge that was acting like crazy, the meter starts to spin,
- after a couple of days was spinning and the van starts to fail
- the last was the van simply died (no more power) i had to put on Neutral or Parking and turn the ignition on again

- i assume it was a faulty fuel pump, so i bought a new fuel pump and replace it
after i replace it did the same but after a half hour maybe, not in a few minutes like happened before
- since i use the old fuel tank pressure sensor i went to the store and bought a new one
- after replace the new one the problem remain, not all the time like it was before, but sometimes if i press the gas pedal all down but doesn't die anymore when i stop the van on a red light or a stop for example

im gonna post a video to show how it was before i replace the fuel pump.

i hope someone can help me with this problem, i though the relay could be bad too, but i didn't test it yet.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
20210331_103440.mpg (1.13 MB, 18 views)
Old April 3rd, 2021, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 554 Posts

The cluster could be faulty, or you have a fault in your wiring harness. I also notice you have a trouble light, so getting a diagnostic scan could provide some clues.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mountainmanjoe, thanks for your reply, i don't believe its the cluster, if i have the van without working for a couple of hours it starts and works fine, after 10 or 15 minutes after start running the problem starts, i replace the relay too and it still the same
Old April 10th, 2021, 8:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

given your repairs and the crazy gauge i would suggest it may be a wire harness issue....either it is damaged somewhere or a wire may have backed out of a plug....if you can turn the key on and have someone under the van wiggle the harness going to the tank and see if it replicate the crazy gauge issue.....if the gauge wire touches ground it will go crazy...