Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Another power mirror thread

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2021, 1:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Another power mirror thread

I’d like to add aftermarket power mirrors to my van. I have power locks, windows, RKE. I took the door panels off and found these connectors.

1st pic: how the connectors are (I’m assuming from the factory) plugged into each other.

2nd pic: unplugged, matching their opposite plugs I saw online for the mirror and mirror adjuster switch. Once they are unplugged, they seem to reach the right areas.

3rd pic: passenger side connector, matches the mirror pigtail I saw online.

I tested all the pins with a test light in both connectors with the ignition on and found no voltage. Not sure if this is indicative of it not being enabled in the BCM or not. Also no turn signal voltage (the mirrors I want have signals), but that would be easy enough to wire up.

Anyone had any luck with this?

Old August 23rd, 2021, 3:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Look at the fuse block and see if there is a fuse slot for mirrors that maybe has no fuse installed.

My 2002 has power mirrors and they're also heated. The heat runs off a button on the heater control, while the mirror switch is on the left door.
Old August 24th, 2021, 9:25 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
Look at the fuse block and see if there is a fuse slot for mirrors that maybe has no fuse installed.

My 2002 has power mirrors and they're also heated. The heat runs off a button on the heater control, while the mirror switch is on the left door.

I checked the fuse block and there is a fuse installed in that spot. It has voltage on both sides of the fuse. However, when I test the connector in the door, I get nothing. None of the pins have voltage, even after switching the ignition on. I used this video as a reference:

So I have the fuse, I have the connectors in the door, but no power going to them. Not sure if this means it's disabled in the BCM or not.
Old August 30th, 2021, 10:25 PM
CF Active Member

After a little more digging, I have discovered that:

There is a fuse in the OSRVM slot in the fuse box under the seat. Both sides of this fuse are hot.

There is a RD/WH wire on the C8 slot of the female side of the X500 (driver's side kick panel) connector. I toned it out and this is the same RD/WH wire that is present in the driver's side door and provides power to the mirror switch.

On the male side of the X500 connector there is no wire and not even a pin (wtf chevy?)

I'm considering providing 12v to this wire (or just tap into the power window switch) so I can have power mirror controls, then running separate wires for turn signals and heaters (the mirrors I want are heated). I need to tone out the other wires in the mirror switch connector to make sure they reach the passenger side before ordering mirrors.

Frustrating to say the least. Not sure why they would have different harnesses just to exclude the power mirror switch.
Old September 1st, 2021, 11:24 AM
CF Active Member

I just toned out each pin from driver side to passenger side power mirror connectors. None of them are connected. So there are mirror harnesses in the doors but they don't connect to each other through the X500 connectors. To make the power mirrors work, I'd have to run all new wiring for each pin to connect both doors, not worth it at this point.