Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fuelling problem

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2022, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuelling problem

Hello, I have a 2005 class c motorhome on a express 3500 chassis with 6 litre engine. My last two fuel fills have been very difficult. I can only get a couple seconds of gas in the tank before the nozzle shuts off. I have experienced this with different stations. I am starting to think maybe there is an issue with the evap venting. I have no engine light on and runs okay. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old February 7th, 2022, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

inspect any venting on the tank and filler neck.
Old February 7th, 2022, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Common problem on Roadtrek RV, caused by fuel fill hose being relocated and lays flat. Try fueling with front end higher and lower, even if you have to use blocks to figure out if it is the problem. Try holding nozzel at different positions around the clock, works for some.
Old February 8th, 2022, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t think of that and will certainly give it a try at my next fill!
Old February 8th, 2022, 8:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i would locate the evap cannister, remove the hose that vent hose to the atmosphere/cannister filter....it should be attached to the vent solenoid. remove the fuel cap. you should be able to blow thru the vent solenoid into the cannister with only a slight restriction. moderate to large restriction will cause a tank pressure build up; this will shut the fuel station pump off when refueling.
Old February 8th, 2022, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply, checked the vent solenoid the other day, will look at canister next.
Old February 8th, 2022, 9:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 37flatback
Thanks for the reply, I didn’t think of that and will certainly give it a try at my next fill!
Can also be a kinked fuel fill hose, RV manufacturers are notorious for hap hazard work. If you can access hose and find a kink sometimes a clamp, like radiator hose clamp can be installed at kink and tightened to remove kink. Not saying this is a diagnosis, something to look at.
Old February 8th, 2022, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

I will check that also , thank you
Old February 8th, 2022, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

I pulled the vent solenoid off and it is not stuck closed. Could blow through it easily. Next I removed the vent line from the tank at the charcoal canister, could hear the pressure coming out of the tank , the fuel cap was on at the time , I would assume that line would be clear. I then blew through the canister where I removed the tank line and air freely passed through the canister and out the vent hole to where the solenoid would attach. I guess the canister is not restricted . I saw no charcoal bits in any of the contentions at the canister. Maybe I will replace the solenoid vent valve , they are fairly cheap . I’ll have to look into the fill tube next.
Old February 9th, 2022, 5:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 37flatback
I pulled the vent solenoid off and it is not stuck closed. Could blow through it easily. Next I removed the vent line from the tank at the charcoal canister, could hear the pressure coming out of the tank , the fuel cap was on at the time , I would assume that line would be clear. I then blew through the canister where I removed the tank line and air freely passed through the canister and out the vent hole to where the solenoid would attach. I guess the canister is not restricted . I saw no charcoal bits in any of the contentions at the canister. Maybe I will replace the solenoid vent valve , they are fairly cheap . I’ll have to look into the fill tube next.
I am not a mechanic, just another RV owner trying to get by. There should/might be a vent line at the fill hose, cannot imagine how it would get blocked. Could possibly kink? Google 2006 Chevy express fuel fill and should bring up the part showing the vent line. I have a new to me Chevy 2001 Roadtrek and it has the vent line. Anything showing up in the codes?

Quick Reply: Fuelling problem