Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G-van: Standard vs Heavy Duty front coil springs

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2020, 3:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default G-van: Standard vs Heavy Duty front coil springs

Hi all,

My 95 conversion van springs are ready to be replaced, when I hit a dip or brake hard it does a nose dive. The question is should I go standard or HD?

This is a 3/4 ton and has the added weight of a high top, seats, sofa, carpet, rear a/c, and lots of cabinets. It's always towing.

Has anybody switched from standard to HD? What was your experience? Maybe its overkill and she just needs new standard.

Standard specs

Or

Heavy duty specs

Thanks
John
Old March 28th, 2020, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,

I put those springs in my cart to see the prices, and there's a $15 price difference. That's not bad and I would probably go with the HD, but I use my vans for work so they are loaded down with hundreds of lbs of tools and sometimes materials.

I have a 95 too, it's a 1 ton and rides pretty stiff. It's actually rated at a ton and a half because it has a military upgrade (it's an Air Force box truck) but I'm not sure what they actually did to it that gives it that extra half ton.

Are you planning on replacing the leaf springs as well? My 86 has aftermarket 1 ton overloads attached to the original leafs and it rode really stiff but they are worn out by now. Also, how will you compress the coils when you do replace them? If I remember correctly the free rental compressors won't work on these vans and I need to replace the ball joints on my 86. Thanks.
Old March 29th, 2020, 6:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi and thanks for the reply.

If I look at the stock curb weight of a 95 ext van it says 4769. My conversion sticker says GVWR is 6600. Add to that 3 people, a full tank of gas and a bunch of camping gear and its well into 7klbs. I think it makes sense to go with HD.

the leaf spring should be replaced BUT i was thinking about just adding a set of bolt on helper springs and see if it helps.

Didnt now a spring compressor wouldnt work. I may need to go rent some and test it.

thanks.
john
Old March 29th, 2020, 7:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_..._weight_rating
GVWR:
An acronym for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which means the MAXIMUM weight that the vehicle was designed to carry.
It is not your actual weight.

If your vehicle actually weighs 7,000+ lbs then I would be concerned.
Old April 6th, 2020, 5:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When I got my conversion van I thought it was normal. But I believe part of the process is putting cushy springs on it. My 92 was made even less responsive by being converted into a handicap van with the heavy lift.
trying to solve this problem I noticed front springs were thicker than a burb or pickup and most spring stiffening hardware would not fit so I got some poly bushings put one inside and one out with 3/8 bolt an 2 washers to squeeze it together between coils.
. Rear was way too mushy for a 2500 and the 3 leaf springs had almost a reverse curve them.. coil helpers on top of axle really helped in high winds. So went to closest my after van got heavy enough to get a boaty ride again
that trip I discovered that heavy leaf springs are rare in 56.5 inches and found a burden with huge sachs gas shocks. I believe springs came off old 4x4 c30.
after I got centerline wheels (17) rear is about 4 in higher and front 3.
. Nothing good is ever easy

Old May 3rd, 2020, 8:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Well, I took a different route. Instead of replacing the springs, I went with Air Lift air bag inserts. I guess I would have done the HD but in the end, I didn't have the will to do the job.

The inserts have a lifetime warranty but you'd have to remove the spring to get them out so that kinda defeats the purpose I guess.

So, was it easier to install than new springs? Maybe... It's a totally different install process. The hardest part is coiling that bag up small enough to fit through the hole in the A-arm. The trick for me was using a hose clamp to "triple fold" and zip tie it. That part is almost a two person job but hey, its clean.

By adding stability to the spring, they also raised the sagging front end to its original height. Van is level again.

They add structure and stability to the spring. Wife said it drives like a car now. Well, it corners much better without dipping and doesn't feel like riding a bull if you hit a dip in the road.

Old May 3rd, 2020, 7:46 PM
CF Active Member

Yep better the ride-the harder the install
Old May 4th, 2020, 9:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We put Sumo yellow bump stops in the front of our 4500. It both raised the front slightly and stiffened it at the same time. I ended up taking them out due to the stiffness. Sumo then recommended their black bump stops as they are slightly softer. At $98, I'm in no hurry to try them. I like the idea of air bags...

Gary
Old May 4th, 2020, 4:41 PM
CF Active Member

There are other ways to get the rebouncy out. I use 2 old shock bushings and a 3/8 in bolt to sqeeze them between the springs

And dont forget any set of leaf springs at junkyard that is 56.5 x 2 inches shoul fit.make sure you grind sharp edges off the tips or use teflon or poly/graphit buttons. With engine,crane ,stand and tools my vandura doesnt even sqat. Springs are from 1 ton 70s k model 4x4