Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

In the market for a work van.

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2022, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default In the market for a work van.

Hi everyone. New member here.

I'm new to GM products but not new to automotive forums or vehicles. I'm a pretty handy mechanic with access to a full shop.

From what I've found my budget will afford a cargo van from around 04 to 07 with some miles on it. Earlier if there's an advantage. I'll be using it as a dedicated work van for my aluminum construction business (patio covers, screen rooms, Florida rooms etc...). Here in Florida rust is rarely an issue. Even our 20 and 30 year old vehicles look new underneath.

I'm currently in an 05 Grand Caravan (Dodge minivan FWD unibody) that I've modified and practically rebuilt over the years. It's been a good vehicle but I've pretty much maxed it out. I need more room for tools and more towing capacity.

I already know I like having the windows in the side and rear doors. I don't need more than one shelf or cabinet so I'd prefer the windows.

At this point I'm looking for advice on what years or models may have problems or advantages over others. Basically what to avoid or search for. Different engines, transmissions or packages. I really don't know much about these vans. Is there a thread or discussion that already covers this?

Old June 22nd, 2022, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

GM did not mess around with vans. They've remained essentially the same for almost 30 years.
Choose the engine that provides the power you need. fueleconomy.gov has the consumption numbers if you need to know, but they're all gas guzzlers as you would expect. The V6 it doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way.
You can read the minutiae on wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Express

Avoid white ones. They peel.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 23rd, 2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 3:29 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I would avoid the 96-02 due to an issue with the intake gaskets around 130,000 and because the fuel pressure regulator is hard to access. 03-up have the LS motors and are pretty reliable. 95-back with the TBI are also pretty reliable.

The V6 might not be as big of an issue in Florida since there's no real hills to deal with. It depends how much you want to tow.

Old June 24th, 2022, 10:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks guys. I've been doing a bunch of research. I'm narrowing it down to an 03-08. I don't think I need the extra payload or towing capacity of a 2500. The tools I haul around don't weigh that much. they just take up a lot of space.

Is there really much of a performance difference from the 4.3 V6 and the 4.8 V8? It looks like the 1500 with a V6 would meet my towing and payload requirements but I don't want it to be dangerously slow in regular driving. If I had a choice I'd do the 1500 with a V8 but the selection of vans is pretty thin around here. I'm not going to be able to drive a bunch of them. If a clean V6 comes available it would be really tempting.

It looks like the V6 makes only a little less peak torque than the V8 but at a lower RPM which would explain the much lower HP number. It looks like the engines have similar output with the V6 being a lower revving engine. It could be that the V8 has a more broad power band though. There doesn't seem to be much info on these. Most of my experience is with multi cam high revving imports.

Last edited by Derrick71; June 24th, 2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old June 25th, 2022, 3:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Go to a dealership lot and test drive both if you want to know what they feel like.
Old June 26th, 2022, 7:23 AM
CF Pro Member

3500s from that range sold here at a state auction for $1500 and under. Some well under and ran and moved. Of course a lot of rust though. But they've come down since last fall, when they were more like $3500 or so a shot. Work vans with no windows typically cheaper than those with seats and full interior.

The six is not that common, it's been a while since I saw one go through with that engine. Two or three years ago there were a pair, I bid on one at the time, but passed at $1200-ish - one needed rear doors R&R. Both I noticed showed signs of oil leakage all over the bottom of the engine from somewhere in the front, timing cover maybe; they were fleet vehicles and it must have been a fairly involved repair.

The vast majoirity come through with a 6.0.

As far as slow, my 1994 is a 4.3 and it's on the slow side, but I don't push it too hard either. I wouldn't say it's slow enough to be dangerous. I can even pull a little trailer with it. The newer Vortec version is putting out much more power than this TBI engine, so it should be fine.
Old June 26th, 2022, 11:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it since I can't seem to put my hands on many of these to see for my self. If an acceptable one comes up I'll probably buy it on the spot. These vans are as rare as hens teeth around here right now. Apparently they're having a hard time delivering new ones so it's disrupting the availability all the way down the food chain. The only ones I've seen for sale are so rough I doubt I could even benefit from test driving them. Even the Chevy dealer I used to work for hasn't had one for a long time.
Old June 27th, 2022, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For reference, I've got a 2010 Express 2500. 2010 is when they went to the 6-speed 6L90 transmission. And so far, I've been happy with the ability to pick my own gears when I need to. Like mountain climbs and such. I've also got the 4.8. 6.0 has more *****. Sure. But it's also more thirsty. I see 18-20 mpg at around 60 mpg. Closer to 70 it's 17ish. It's an old sears van, so I'm still governed to 75....

Anyway, the 4.8 has never held me back on modest amounts of towing. Like uhaul trailers full of garbage to the dump and such. Unless you're planning to tow big, the 4.8 should be more than adequate.

I'm at ~208,000 miles, and I'm of the suspicion that the 4.8 is overbuilt for the power it makes. Big, well-cooled transmission, big differential, big brakes. And the parts that I have had to replace have been cheap and relatively easy. Water pump started leaking, pretty easy job. Starter died, and that was 30 minutes on my back. No biggy. Oh, and an evap-part, not too bad. And the rest, well, crank windows and minimal features.

I generally don't think there's major issues in the modern years.The LS engines and corresponding transmissions were fairly sorted after several years. Just more features as you go. Like in 2011 I believe stability control was added.

Last edited by MrOldLude; June 27th, 2022 at 3:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Derrick71 (July 3rd, 2022)
Old July 18th, 2022, 5:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I bought this 2003 3500 95,000 miles last year with boxes for 1600 with all the boxes set up for my work. It was a former employers I did a day of work and only paid $800 cash for it. It has rusted rockers that I have purchased new panels for. Needed fuel lines , shocks , tires, broken shackles, and supposedly had a bad head gasket. It needed a water pump and the broken shackle punctured the rear line set that I replaced. .

Old July 19th, 2022, 10:18 AM
CF Pro Member

That is one thing I have noticed on these is the rear spring shackles rust. I would look at them at the auctions and there would be holes in the side part of them.