Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Recommendation for a swivel base for seat?

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2019, 11:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tskier
Hello....trying to get a recommendation on a good swivel mount for the passenger seat. I've seen a few for $199 but was curious if anyone has found any for less? Thanks
I don't know if this would fit your vehicle but Northern Tool has these:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7875_200487875
Old February 4th, 2019, 2:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Black'95
I don't know if this would fit your vehicle but Northern Tool has these:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7875_200487875
Found in the product Q&A :
"The swivel is not advised to be used in a car or van due to safety codes and regulations for the vehicle. These are designed for slow moving vehicles such as a tractor."
Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm guessing that these are the ones you found, as I am looking to do the same thing for my Chevy Express:

https://shop4seats.com/van-seats/van...e-factory.html

Has anyone else installed one of these on the passenger side? Or driver side for that matter?

I've read on another forum that the seat won't swivel unless you make a bracket offsetting the seat 2 inches inboard, if you have the inside arm rest. But, just by dead-reckoning and taking some quick measurements, it looks to me like it would work, but you might have to open the door a bit for the initial turn.

If anyone has installed these, let us know, THANKS!
The following 2 users liked this post by wingman55:
VinzClortho (March 20th, 2021), WandeRen (October 13th, 2020)
Old May 26th, 2019, 4:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try the pull your own yards.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 6:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my pair out of a 89 gvan. C chairs and ball bearing pedestal for $60 at the wrench apart in belton . If I had to do it over again I would have gotten the leather seats out of a jag,e class or even a range rover.
these lazy boys on the swivel are about useless. Get a smaller seat and it will give you more space around doghouse too. Flex steel seats are god awful in a van or freightliner. And too heavy
. When I found them I was thinking of my 74 monte carlo seats which help one exit
Old March 24th, 2020, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know if the shop4seats Chevy Express swivel moves the seat inboard (toward the middle of the van) when the seat is rotated to face backward? I'm looking for a swivel option for my 2000 Express passenger side seat and I would like to keep the armrest. As a quick test I flipped the passenger seat around (not on a swivel) and found that the passenger door is unable to close due to interference with the armrest when the seat is facing backwards. So a swivel would need to have an offset pivot point to move the seat inboard to provide door clearance.
Old March 25th, 2020, 12:56 AM
CF Active Member

Go and read my comments about the fatass flexsteel seats again.

you have to refill all the holes without hitting fuel line or starter cable. As I said in my post ,I'm going to get skinnier seats to solve the space conundrum. Moved my past seat 8 in back and 2in more inboard and it still is not easily turned. A big office chair would be better
Old March 25th, 2020, 3:00 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry,was working on my brick when I commented.
​​​​​​ . What I meant to say was,any swivel does not use any more space when turning except for a mount hanging over. I got mine specifically for what you want. To learn it back into the dash corner and free up some elbow space.
. The losing of passenger footwell space made it a negative for me. I may try a astro seat if they are smaller this year
Old March 26th, 2020, 9:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by john2000
Does anyone know if the shop4seats Chevy Express swivel moves the seat inboard (toward the middle of the van) when the seat is rotated to face backward? I'm looking for a swivel option for my 2000 Express passenger side seat and I would like to keep the armrest. As a quick test I flipped the passenger seat around (not on a swivel) and found that the passenger door is unable to close due to interference with the armrest when the seat is facing backwards. So a swivel would need to have an offset pivot point to move the seat inboard to provide door clearance.
I purchased a shop4seats seat swivel for my 2018 Chevrolet Express van. It has an offset to one side of about one inch. You can mount it so the offset is to the inside or the outside. One way the swivel control lever will be to the front or the back, but this shouldn't matter because you will only swivel it when you are stopped. The offset was too much for my particular setup, so I drilled new holes for my seat that were no offset as much. I really like the swivel seat when I am camped. It seems to add so much more room in the "living" area.
The following 3 users liked this post by Black'95:
john2000 (March 26th, 2020), VinzClortho (March 20th, 2021), WandeRen (October 13th, 2020)
Old March 26th, 2020, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Black'95
...shop4seats seat swivel...has an offset to one side of about one inch..
Thanks for confirming. This one inch offset should allow my passenger side door to close with the seat (with an armrest on left) turned around.
The following users liked this post:
WandeRen (October 13th, 2020)

Quick Reply: Recommendation for a swivel base for seat?