Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Tire Rant

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2019, 9:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to Clarify my new set of Bridgestone Tires were about $ 900.00 for the set of four including all taxes, mounting etc. I have a One ton 15 Passenger Van running Load Range E 10 Ply Rating. The same tire that came out on it. Even kept the old set and they are on another vehicle that doesn't get drove but 6K a year. Personal choice as with anything, StanVan let us know how you like them when they get 40K on them. I would change at a heart beat if they are better. Will stay with Load Range E rating though.
Thank you
Ken
Old June 9th, 2019, 11:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oops. Yeah, I am load range E (10 ply) too. I must have added that number from another vehicle of another time.

Last edited by dberladyn; June 9th, 2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old June 9th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
Well, this thread took a turn.

The stock Bridgestone's had a terrible "singing" on cement, and not only is it gone, it seems that there may have been other, less annoying noise that is also missing. It is a total pleasure to be on the highway with the windows down.
did the old tires have toe wear? this wear pattern sounds like a bearing growl at highway speed. if you have your old tires...inspect the treadwear pattern. All springs sag over time and on independent front suspension that means toe change. Fastest way to wreck new tires is toe out of spec.
Old June 9th, 2019, 1:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

My van was wearing "Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar" tires when I bought it.
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...rain-adventure
60,000 miles tread life warranty.

After 11,000 km (7,000 mi) they had 9mm out of 12mm of tread left.
They ride very well on the road. OK in the snow. Surprisingly good traction off-road. No issues so far.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 9th, 2019 at 3:56 PM.
Old June 9th, 2019, 1:59 PM
Super Moderator

This is what it means to have a blowout.

(skip to 0:28)
Old June 9th, 2019, 2:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never been able to get the "quote" function to work in this forum. I don't have any problem anywhere else.

Tech2- the wear was just fine on my tires, not at all uneven. The van only has 38k on it now, so sagging anything isn't an issue. I had changed the shocks around 20k to get a smoother ride.
Old June 9th, 2019, 2:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by StanVan
You can't "scrub" the internet of negative comments or reviews.
It's pretty hard to "scrub" the reputation that your company has had the two biggest recalls in history that kills hundreds of people (not including other countries), and spurred legislative change. It also went on for some time. From '91 to '00. This was before the time of Facebook. In early 90s people didn't even have home computers. Of course, it was all over the local news and 60 Minutes did a piece on it:

And some might remember this little jingle on The Simpsons

But you have a point. The internet is a great resource for research. Let's see what else we can find ...
  • 1950: Firestone along with General Motors and Standard Oil, were charged and convicted of criminal conspiracy for their part in the Great American streetcar scandal.
  • 1977: a recall of 400,000 tires produced at the problematic Decatur plant was initiated. Firestone was considered to be less than cooperative with the NHTSA during the agency's investigation into the Firestone 500. Firestone blamed the problems on the consumer.
  • 1978: Firestone recalled over 7 million Firestone 500 tires, the largest tire recall to date. The tire was found to be defective and the cause of 250 deaths.
  • 2005: case in US District Court in California against Bridgestone (parent company owning Firestone), alleging "forced labor, the modern equivalent of slavery", on the Firestone Plantation in Harbel, Liberia.

Firestones are "blood" tires you guys. LOL

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 9th, 2019 at 2:59 PM.
Old June 9th, 2019, 3:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We had a computer in the early nineties. We even had a computer in the 1980's but no one knew how to work it. Is there one of us, or all of us who are confusing Bridgestone with Firestone or is the same company?

Regarding the accident video, I am amazed at how non-dangerous it appears to the following vehicle. It just looks to be something many people would watch happen without touching the brakes.. then all of a sudden, bam! That out of control car is right in front of you. Another thing I noticed was the complete lack of urgency. No one stops. The following driver takes his time, makes a phone call, casually walks over to the flipped vehicle and half *** inspects, then walks away. Life and Death is time man. Holy @$#%. No respect for Life.
Old June 9th, 2019, 4:07 PM
Super Moderator

Same company.

Judging from the height of the footage, it was filmed from a semi truck or similar. A small passenger car poses a smaller threat to a semi than to you or I.

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I noticed was the complete lack of urgency.
That's China for you. I'd rather not even speak of the horrors that happen there. There's plenty of material on Youtube for you to view if you feel so inclined. They do not value life as we do. Taiwan is not as bad as the mainland, mind you. In spectacular crash like that, the chances that the driver was already deceased is high.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 10th, 2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old June 9th, 2019, 8:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, guy bought the van for uber and just didn't have the tires rotated or front end aligned. He put about 25k on it this way and I changed them at 45k. Never had the growl or wandering that some seem to have. I do rotate these every 5k and make sure they have 50 lbs in Front ones and 80 lbs in back ones though.

Thank you
Ken

Quick Reply: Tire Rant