Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Tire Rant

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2019, 12:11 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
I would ask how old is the "fleet". And then I'd point out that fleet service means a lot of miles.

Records indicate my van turns 3 this month, and I'm approaching 40k. Except for that momentary glitch when I first got it (at 19k) i'm liking it. I love that I can check tire pressure from the comfort of the drivers seat.
That's exactly the thing, nothing in the fleet is new enough for those features. It's only the co-workers with new personal vehicles.
Old June 12th, 2019, 9:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd point out that it's human nature to only remember the negative. The only time you hear a positive is in a discussion like this.

The example I use is this; Motorcycles. I ride. If the subject comes up, let's say at a party, and I say I ride, the majority of people cite those idiots that break the law, ride recklessly, and are a large part of accidents. Nobody ever points out guys like me, who ride responsibly. And you'll never notice me in traffic either(which is a problem in itself, as motorcyclists are largely ignored. "I never saw him"). Considering only 3% of the U.S. population rides, you can imagine the "negativity".
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
"I never saw him"
Fortunate to still be living proof of this one.

TPMS are too new for me to have to deal with personally. The gist I hear about them is headache, PITA, waste of consumer money and the like. The sources for this even extends to tire service shops. Just seems like a trend.
Old June 30th, 2019, 12:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did we ever figure out tires?

I caught a nail last night. Now I'm running on my spare which is much better shape than the tire it replaces. Out of all my tires, my worst one caught the nail. I am glad for that.

Getting it off. Buddy at the tireshop cranked em on with air gun. I just about said something to him, because to me he was over torquing them. I suspected I'd have a hard time getting off and I did. I was sore after cracking the nuts.

I have to decide what to do. I suppose shop around because $330.00 per tire is a bit ridiculous. I'm not sure what they were but Canadian Tire had near my size at a $179.00. Probably lighter duty tires, but still.

I am not looking for anything knobby. I like the tires on my truck, I like the look. I drive mainly in the city. I am in the woods right now, gravel roads, rough dirt roads, hills, I get around just fine. In heavy rain/mud it might be different.

The idea for me was to Summer City tires and then a set of snow tires which are easy enough to come by used already mounted. My tires are at say 60%. I'd actually have to measure. The rear were replaced already so, they are a bit better, say 80%.

Maybe I should just buy two new ones for the front?
Old June 30th, 2019, 3:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Why are you worrying about new tires? 60% and 80% means you still have a few years.

Vancouver dwellers don't need dedicated winter tires. How much snow did we get last winter ... a couple of days?

Manufacturers recently started making tires with a new designation "All-Weather". They should grip better than "All-Season" but I suspect they will wear faster.
https://www.kaltire.com/en/all-weather-tires/
Old July 1st, 2019, 9:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my! I read this thread and ran to see what tires I have, BFG Advantage A/T brand news from Costco.

I had had two tire blow outs (Pirelli slicks) in my track toy car and its not funny at all. I wasnt going that fast (around 125mph), but hell those are terrifying microseconds on the track.
Old July 1st, 2019, 10:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I still have faith in my Bridgestones. Are you guys sure you are not talking about Firestone tires?

The TMPS was very beneficial to me. Here was I was up country, a little bit up country anyways. A long ways from any "services". The TMPS light came on, I had a nail in the tire. Slow leak. It made me aware and aided in my planning for it. Rather than just waking up with the truck parked in the wrong spot, like on a hill, sitting on dirt, I was able to watch the tire, park on level ground and plan for a tire change when the rain stopped. Without that, it might have really wrecked my day.
Old July 1st, 2019, 1:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Are you guys sure you are not talking about Firestone tires?
You already asked that.
Old January 27th, 2021, 4:32 PM
Super Moderator

Firestone is up to their old tricks

Recall Alert: Bridgestone and Firestone Tires in the USA and Canada