Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trailer Brake Wiring

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2019, 3:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Wiring

I have a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 and was happy to find some trailer brake wiring tucked away neatly against the firewall. Does anybody know it emerges at the back end of the van? I have a Class B motorhome so it may be concealed in some way. Have not spotted it yet.

Cheers, Steve
Old August 24th, 2019, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a thread best upgrades done.... i touched base on trailer brake wiring.... with pictures... on my 2006 express 3500 it was never hooked up to use.... i found my wires driver side under dash close to firewall....they run along the frame rail to the rear of my van.... be aware if yours was never connected you will find a red wire with an eyelet around the fuse box under the hood.... mine was never connected...that powers your brake controller....
Hope that helps.... and go to my thread search trailer brakes
Old August 24th, 2019, 4:49 PM
CF Active Member

That's a really long thread but I found it:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...12/#post345187
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...14/#post345291

Now to figure out where to put the connector. It was strapped to the bottom of the hitch before and got pounded into a curb.
Old August 24th, 2019, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If im not mistaking i ordered my connectors and brackets from e-trailer... I bolted mine were i felt makes the most since.
I went with the 2 in 1 i use both 7 pin and a 4 pin...
Old August 25th, 2019, 3:24 PM
CF Active Member

I have done tons of searching for the blue wire along the frame rail but can't seem to locate it. I tried looking inside the loom going to the fuel tank but it wasn't in there. The rest of the tail light wiring is inside the van. Is there any chance that blue wire is inside the van too?
Old August 26th, 2019, 8:30 PM
CF Active Member

Can somebody with the factory tow wiring up front take a peak in their internal wiring near the rear driver's side column to see if they can find the blue wire? I was at a junk yard today and saw half a dozen Chevy Express vans. It seems that the bulk of the wiring comes through the inside of the van near the roof on the driver's side. I had a good look at one van but was in a bit of a hurry search for floor mats and wasn't really thinking about the trailer brake wiring until I had left.

My van is a conversion so accessing the rear driver's side pillar will take some real effort. I do not want to pull it apart until I can confirm the wire is in there. My 4-way wiring does hang down by the bumper from that location but Roadtrek filled the bottom of the pillar with spray foam on both sides. They spliced the driver's side rear tail light wiring for the reverse signal but no sign of that blue wire so far. The van does have a factory bumper that's hidden under the ground effects kit but it doesn't seem to have any wiring attached to it.

Old August 26th, 2019, 10:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw what you're looking for in the bone yard a couple weeks ago. Completely gutted, took a look just to see the wiring route myself. Driver's side pillar about halfway down the body is where the group travels from top to bottom. Unfortunately, I did not look further as that was all I needed to know at the time. Maybe someone else knows a bit more.
Old August 27th, 2019, 5:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought my factory wiring came from the underhood fusebox and ran to the back down the frame.. I will look sometime.