Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

At what mileage do I expect troubles?

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2020, 8:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default At what mileage do I expect troubles?

New to the forums - hello!
I'm planning to purchase a used Chevy Express van to slightly convert to a camper van to use for some extended cross country excursions in my upcoming retirement.
I'm planning on purchasing a 2008-2015 V-8 Express but I'm not sure what mileage range I should be comfortable with.
I feel reasonably sure that under 100K is good but the prices do drop considerably over that.
My biggest concern is a transmission going out.
Can anyone chime-in on at what mileage point they've had transmission (or any other major problems) occur with their Chevy Express vans?
I really appreciate any experienced input anyone might have.
Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

100 000 kilometers is the mileage when most fluid changes are due...so its an expensive one. The transmission fluid should be serviced every 100km. Depending on how much load the trans has over its lifetime and servicing 300 000km is a obtainable.
suspension components tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings tend to go in the 100 to 200 range, brakes 60 to 100, fluid leaks ie seals, fluid lines 50k and up
The following users liked this post:
dankellyweir (February 16th, 2020)
Old February 16th, 2020, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks - Being a "shade tree mechanic" most of my life I've heard lots of conflicting opinions about changing transmission fluid - mostly in regard to older vehicles with an unknown history. I've always owned manual transmissions but it appears there are none of the express vans with that option. I'd certainly play it safe and change to fluids upon purchase unless legit records show it's been done at the suggested interval. I'd have plenty of time driving it locally after that to satisfy myself that I didn't "stir up the bad stuff" as the old perceived fear was.
Purchasing one that has spent most of it's life on the highway verses bad roads will certainly be what I strive for - reducing lots of those joint wear points - wheel bearings get changed regardless.
Probably the thing I am most concerned about is what the expected lifetime of a well maintained auto trans in the Chevy is. The smaller repairs are really not an issue - I just wouldn't want to be on the side of the highway in Utah with a dead transmission.
Old February 16th, 2020, 11:39 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

heat is a big killer of transmission fluids. but generally be on the safe side and change all fluids when you get a vehicle even if it has 200k on it even trans fluid. if the trans go out after changing fluid it was on its way out anyway. many old wives tails will tell you "changing the trans fluid will break junk free and kill the trans" but this is 100% not true if you only change the fluid. but dont NEVER flush a trans as that will break things up. GM even has a TSB about never flushing a transmission only flushing the trans cooler after replacing a blow trans. many people believe that changing the fluid will kill the trans but thats because they forget to change it every 100k then once it starts slipping they think "gotta change the fluid", next thing you know the trans goes up and they blame the trans fluid change.

I think its BMW that states that you dont have to change the fluid as its good for the "lifetime" of the trans. but they dont tell you they think the "lifetime" is 100k miles
dankellyweir (February 17th, 2020)
Old February 17th, 2020, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

not just bmw...any manufacturers that uses zf transmissions. I would be changing it at 100 000kilometers.

the old trans flush machines could cause a problem. the new fluid exchange machines will not cause problems.
dankellyweir (February 17th, 2020)
Old February 17th, 2020, 5:50 AM
CF Junior Member

good points!
Old February 18th, 2020, 8:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my 2008 since 2009 with about 8K when I got it. Trans fluid and filter done twice since with 115K now. No problems with the transmission.It is a loaded work van. The lovely Dex cool gets done every 3 years which if not can create costly issues. Brake, power steering and drive axle fluid should be changed when you get it as well if it hasn't been done in 100K. No actual leakage yet, though tell tale oil marks are beginning to show. Brake and suspension wear on these are all over the map on when. I've done several complete brake jobs to date and replaced both the idler and pitman arms. Only odd thing was the radiator needed replacement after 10 years.
dankellyweir (February 19th, 2020)
Old February 19th, 2020, 7:23 AM
CF Junior Member

LOL - work trucks and regular brake replacements - I know all about that!
I hope to find on with highway miles under 100K. I'm not in a big hurry, if the economy takes a dive I suspect there will be PLENTY of them available cheap.
Sounds like common sense stuff the regular trans fluid change I would not have thought of but it sounds like simple insurance.