Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1990 G-30 footwell leak

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 G-30 footwell leak

Hey,

We have a leak into both foot wells of our 1990 G-30 that we bought around 2 months ago. The last heavy rain was the first time I noticed it and it literally hasn’t rained here in over a month so I’ve not managed to identify where it’s coming from visually. Had our mechanic blast it with a hose for a while and he couldn’t see the water coming in.

The van has the manual vents in the kickwall and when I put my hand in there it is full of crap - pine needles and some cones even.

Just wondering if anyone knows:

1. If these vents let in water that then drains when everything is working right? Maybe just need to clear them out and that would sort the problem?

2. If it is normal for them to let in water that drains is it common for them to get full of gunk? Think this might mean there is a bigger problem further up?

Any help appreciated.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 10:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you answered your own questions.
One rule of thumb when diagnosing anything is to fix what's obviously wrong first, then see what happens.

A vehicle gets cabin air from the cowl. Water runs down and out behind the fenders. If it's full of debris ...

Just going to have to clean it all out.
Old July 27th, 2021, 4:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I looked at mine in a fairly heavy rain (1994) and discovered water would run forward on the roof, overflow the drip rail, and rather than fall off it would run back into the doorframe, and collect in the footwell. It only does this on the left side.

If you had more often rain you could test for this by parking with the front slightly elevated so water runs to the back, then the other way around.

But the cure is probably a combination of adjusting the doors, making sure the seals are tight, and on mine there is a bunch of putty or seam sealer or something in the drip rail that creates a gradual rise, which I probably should clean out. But it's been irregular to fill and I find if I park it with the left side toward the east it rarely gets water in it because most of the storms blow in from the west.