Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

EXPRESS REAR A/C EXPANSION VALVE or EVAPORATOR or FAN MOTOR REPLACEMENT PROJECT

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2019, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Expansion valve info

Originally Posted by Tuesday Turtle
I am looking for that exact expansion valve for my Chevy gladiator. I’ve already ordered one off line to find that the thread doesn’t match. I’ve been searching all over the web to find the exact part. Can you share where you found yours? much appreciated

Tuesday
I am on vacation this week. I have the info but you will have to wait until I get back on 10/2 or 3.

Jerry

Old October 14th, 2021, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, all that info, all that typing, all those pictures.... great job.
Except.... you never gave the punch line....

... where do I get an expansion valve for my rear conversion van?
Old October 15th, 2021, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Rear expansion valve info

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Tuesday Turtle
I am looking for that exact expansion valve for my Chevy gladiator. I’ve already ordered one off line to find that the thread doesn’t match. I’ve been searching all over the web to find the exact part. Can you share where you found yours? much appreciated

Guys.........before you go shopping for a new expansion valve..........you need to determine the MFR of the AC unit in the rear of the vehicle. So many conversion companies outsourced evap modules because they are invariably cheaper than getting GM to install it. If your evap case isnt OEM, as mine wasnt, the only way you can get the valve they installed is to MATCH IT to a catalog with PICS of other valves.

Four Seasons has a great catalog (online) with every pic of every expansion valve they make, and I believe that is how I found mine. I also talked to a Parker engineer who was no help knowing what valve it was other than to say to look thru his catalog as well. Van outfitters bought the cheapest parts they could find. The one that I had to replace was from the long since defunct "Texas Radiator" company who installed one that was listed by Four Seasons as a model for a Honda. Cant explain that one, but that's what they installed. As I remember, the size was almost exactly the same, but the thread sizes were a tad different.

All you will need is the thread size on both inlet and outlet for starters, and just verify the overall size to make sure its close to your old valve. And only look in the TXV Section.......thermostatic expansion valves (TXVs). All the other types of expansion valves are not for automotive usage.

If you are "lucky" enough to have an original installed GM Harrison Radiator OEM evaporator case, the valves listed at Rockauto, Advance, Autozone, and 1000's of other parts stores should get you the correct original part. GM used the same rear valve from about 1998 to 2012 or so. (not exactly sure here, but it's a lot of years) Also make sure you are looking at the REAR valve only. Parts catalogs mix both front and rear valves on the same screen.
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (October 15th, 2021)
Old May 22nd, 2024, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Where to get blower motor?

First off, this post is amazing. Most detailed post I've seen yet! I got into the housing because my blower motor died. Wonderful screams of painful death. I have literally been driving since 9am EST looking for a replacement blower motor. Any idea where I might find one? It is, of course, that lovely aftermarket thing you were talking about. Please HELP my kids can ride in a van with no AC

Thanks in advance
Old May 22nd, 2024, 9:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 653 Likes on 593 Posts

blower motors should be pretty common items. Did you go to your local part store?
check online? (eg rockauto.com)
Don't go cheap or you'll be replacing it again this year.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default Blower motor

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
blower motors should be pretty common items. Did you go to your local part store?
check online? (eg rockauto.com)
Don't go cheap or you'll be replacing it again this year.

Unfortunately, no one has a blower motor that will fit in my 96 because it's the Glaval custom fan. It is aftermarket, and none of the ones in the autoparts stores fit. I'm hoping someone here might have an idea where to get one like the aftermarket part. I literally spent hours driving to every store in my area looking for a fan that'll fit.
Old May 26th, 2024, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default Finding a rear blower motor

Hi everyone, The blower case may have been made by Glaval, but more likely they outsourced that from that Texas Radiator company too. Long, long since they have closed up shop. If you have searched locally at all the parts stores, ( I commend you for having that much patience).....the only thing left is to start searching online.
Here is how you start. I found a Four Seasons online catalog...which still should be available. It is arranged in sections, evaporators, high and low pressure lines, and expansion valves, and blower motors.

Look to see what specifications they list for each of the motors, motor size, shaft size, diameter, etc., etc. Then measure your motor to get all these measurements. All that is left is to start going thru the catalog until you can match up (most) of these specs. No worries, there are only a hundred or so. Don't be too concerned about the size (length) of the motor shaft......the part that holds the fan or squirrel cage. You can always cut that with a hacksaw to shorten it if all the other specs are the same. Pay attention to clock-wise and counter-clockwise too. Once you get a Four Seasons part number, start a Google search with that number, which usually will lead you to other suppliers and hopefully to Amazon. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
The following 2 users liked this post by jerryr:
Lordiegurl (June 20th, 2024), mountainmanjoe (May 26th, 2024)
Old June 20th, 2024, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed the motor. Now have a other problem. Yay

Hey guys, so we ended up taking the old motor out and rebuilding it. Some of the magnets had fallen out of place, which is what caused it to fail. Some break cleaner, glue, and a father in engineering later and the motor is fixed!!!

Now for the new problem. It's only blowing heat out the back vents, but the lines are freezing cold. So that .makes me think it isn't the expansion valve. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
Old Today, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Some of the magnets had fallen out of place, which is what caused it to fail. Some break cleaner, glue, and a father in engineering later and the motor is fixed!!!
Now for the new problem. It's only blowing heat out the back vents, but the lines are freezing cold. So that .makes me think it isn't the expansion valve. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
I might have a few ideas........but you need a tad more information to share. "...lines are freezing cold". WHICH lines and WHERE are these lines ? Near the compressor or receiver dryer ........or the rear lines into the rear evaporator ? Lets start there.