Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

350 timing glitch on engine swap

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2012, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 350 timing glitch on engine swap

HI I AM NEW--OLD Please help-This should be easily explained but 2 of my motorhead friends are stumped.
I have a Gen 1 350 Goodwrench 4 bolt main truck crate motor that came with tins. I purchased the engine with about 50,000 miles on it. I cleaned the outside and repainted put chrome tins on its. New Aluminum intake using a professionally rebuilt Rochester Qjet spread bore. I put it on a stand to work on. I checked inside out and was very clean and wear was consistent with miles. I inspected the timing chain and it was stretched. So for 23 buck and change I replaced it. I lined up the cam shaft and crank marks with the cam at 6 O'clock and the crank at 12 O'clock just as the instructions said. I pulled the gear no problems. I put the new set back on in the exact positions and re-tinned. I dropped a MSD HEI distributor with some break in lube but first I turned the motor over until I had cylinder 1 on TDC compression stroke. I actually used a dial indicator through the spark plug hole. The rotor points at the number one terminal on cap so I thought great! I'm not 180 degrees off. Then I looked down at the 8" balancer and the line was about 24 degrees retarded from 0 on the indexer. Shouldn't the balancer line mark and the index agree at O???? But it does not...What am I missing? When I continue to rotate the crank clockwise with a long handled ratchet so as t move it toward the 0 mark the piston starts moving down away from TDC. WHY oh WHY don't the timing marks line up at 0? I created a picture to show what's up.
Attached Thumbnails 350 timing glitch on engine swap-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by C10moneyvortex; July 21st, 2012 at 7:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 22nd, 2012, 8:50 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just pull the distributor out and turn the gear slightly and reinstall. it will take a few tries to get it as close as possible.

its going to be before the 0 on the timing mark regardless at the end. the small block chevy runs at around 8 degrees before top dead center. you wont have the mechanical timing perfect until its in the car running (or attempting to run) and you can hook up a proper timing light.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that info. I was going to "power" time it then use the light. I was just wondering why when #1 cylinder on compression stroke @TDC, the balancer pointer does not line up with the line notch on the balancer. So it is intended to be advanced at TDC compression??? (this is main question) [scratching head]

Is that right? seems it's around 8-12 degrees off when #1 cylinder is TDC, sorry, I just don't get it.

I do understand what you say about starting off with it close because it is all about position of the distributor. I think your saying I might be a tooth off and it is meaningless when I haven't started it.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Sadly no one seems to know after 176 views whether #1 cylinder @TDC compression on a sbc V8 the harmonic balancer line mark will be at the 0 degrees on indexed pointer. Maybe I am just to eager to get the engine fired up. I will call an engine builder I guess.
Thanks anyway....
Old July 22nd, 2012, 2:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok, which side of the car engine are you looking at? Should be drivers side front.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 2:41 PM

Originally Posted by C10moneyvortex
Sadly no one seems to know after 176 views whether #1 cylinder @TDC compression on a sbc V8 the harmonic balancer line mark will be at the 0 degrees on indexed pointer. Maybe I am just to eager to get the engine fired up. I will call an engine builder I guess.
Thanks anyway....
The answer is YES

Pull out your distributor set the mark at ZERO and reinstall the distributor pointing at cylinder #1. that will set your timing up pretty good. once the engine is running, with a timing light your looking for about 8* BTDC on the timing light with the balancer at 0* to get it running nicely (alternatively set the mark at 8* btdc and the timing light should be at 0*)

all of the information regarding the installation of the timing set is somewhat of a confusing addition to a rather simple question.

the position of the timing set is irrelevant at this point in your build. once TDC is achieved both dots will be at 12:00

the positioning of the distributor is not critical at this point. you are a few teeth off.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

@nj, thanks! that makes absolutely perfects sense. That's how I should have done it first off to get it close. Thanks for the help. Doing it that way will let me know where my "1" is to begin with. I can re-stab the distributor after that to get my most movement needed. If I am off I can move one gear tooth. I can reach down with my pump turning tool and move it little so it drops in also considering the movement that is causes by the gear bevel. I think I remember some bumping the motor until the distributer drops in. I will do it the safer way. I was thinking backwards, even though that would have worked as well. Your way is better. -Regards
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:00 AM

The last time I changed out a distributor my 355 ate the gear off the old one and once i had my balancer set i just turned the oil pump slightly with a flathead screwdriver and dropped the new distributor in. it took a few tries to get the teeth lined up right but once it was pretty close i put the hold down clamp on and left it a little loose so it could be turned while i had the timing light on it. the engine was a TPI engine so there was a little bit more involved, getting the electronic spark advance off so it didnt mess with my mechanical timing. once i was satisfied i was at 8*, and the engine was running strong i just tightened up the distributor bolt. there is a special distributor wrench that makes this job so much easier with the engine in the car
Old July 24th, 2012, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Exactly thought the same thing

I did as I/we described. For this new motor build I used a low end MSD GM style HEI, put a dollop of break in lube on the gear. I injected an ounce or so of gas in the carb and then remote cranked it and it started in the first several revolutions. However, just like you said I had the timing light ready and was WAY retarded. I turned the distributor COUNTER clockwise to advance and it really started to smooth out but the vacuum advance hit the manifold before I could get to around 12 BTDC. So I just shut it off. match marked the MSD body and manifold were it was at, pulled the distributor, looked down the hole with a bright LED light, took a long screwdriver and slightly turned the oil pump counter clockwise. I then put the distributor back in an turned it until it dropped all the way in, and now I have plenty of adjustment. I then finished off with the timing light and a total timing afterwards for power curve.

FYI, for a 350 (or any sbc) with corvette style Ramhorns, I used a plug wire set from a 1980 Suburban with a 454 (long wires). They have 90 degree connects at the cap and long heavy and thick high heat straight boots spark plug boots. I was amazed that they were so Heavy Duty 8mm Made in USA! wires for 26 dollars at O'R..This let me go nicely over the top with valve cover stand offs. I wish I could pass this on....This has been an ongoing issue over or under for years.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by C10moneyvortex; July 24th, 2012 at 8:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 24th, 2012, 9:18 AM

I'm very happy to have helped solve your problem. How about a few pictures of the engine?