Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

700R4 info needed

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2022, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 info needed

Greetings. I recently got a '66 Nova with 383 motor and 700R4. I have no idea what's been done to the tranny since this restomod was done a long time ago by some unknown person.

It seems that the motor is revving too high for my road speed, assuming the tach is more or less correct. The speedo is correct. I have a 3.7 rear end and 17" tires. I'm wondering if the converter isn't locking up.

There's a single terminal device on the let side of the tranny that is fastened to the case, just above the oil pan and a few inches forward of the speedo output. It plugs in horizontally. There's no wire connected to it. I've spent quite a bit of time on the Net trying to confirm what this is, and whether it relates to the lockup function. If it does, I need to figure out how to enable that function.

Many aftermarket lockup kits require changing a few parts inside the case. I don't mind pulling the pan to see what's there, but if all I need to do is supply +12vdc to effect lockup, no use pulling the pan.

There is no ECM in the car.

Can anyone help? Thanx!

Last edited by abstruse1; November 25th, 2022 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Added info.