Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

98 Suburban has to be primed to start

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Suburban has to be primed to start

Alright, I have a 98 4WD Suburban with 140,000 miles on it that will not start without being primed. After being primed with about a half teaspoon of fuel it will run all day as long as you want it to. If you turn it off 30 minutes, it has to be reprimed before it will start again.

The "service engine soon", light had been on for a couple of weeks. So,
I replaced the fuel filter on the passenger side this last weekend and the light went off immediately, has not been seen since.

I am in an area where ethanol is in the fuel and the vehicle has sat for over a month. I only use it to pull a trailer or make a short grocery run. I put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel and ran some Lucas through the engine after changing the filter yesterday, then I ran it 30 miles but no change. I will try it again in a couple of days. Could this be too much condensation in the fuel tank or possibly a clog somewhere?
Thanks, Parabuteo