Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

car dead and key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2010, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car dead and key stuck in ignition

My traverse has been acting up a couple of days by running after the car is turned off and the key taken out. If you put the key back in and "restart" and shut off it went off and a fan ran for a couple of minutes and shut off. I was planning on taking to the dealer monday morning but I went to the garage today and the car is completely dead and I cant remove the key from the ignition. It wont turn back far enough to where you normally remove the key. Unfortunately the car is parked under cabinetry which will not allow me to open the hood to jump the vehicle and the car will not shift out of park to push the car back. Any suggestions?
Old April 25th, 2010, 7:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't turn the key to the on position, press the brake and put it in neutral? Just want to be sure I'm reading it correctly.
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default key turns on, car dead and cant remove key

I can turn the key to the on position but absolutely no power is evident. You can not turn the key all the way off to release the key. In no position while braking can the car be taken out of park.
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi bankshots,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Does it have a console-shift automatic transmission? My daughter just had the same problem this weekend. It's a dead Transmission Interlock Security Solenoid.

What I did was ( leave the key in the ignition) jump start the car. I took it to my mechanic.
They pulled out the solenoid, it's a dealer part which serves no practical purpose whatsoever. I have absolutely no intention of spending hundreds of dollars to have the dealer put in a new one. Hopefully, your battery will also charge and still be OK.
Old April 26th, 2010, 5:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info, would love to jump it but I cant back it up to open the hood. We have cabinetry installed on the back wall of the garage and the traverse pulls in just under it so I can't open the hood. Can a tow truck literally just pull the vehicle back about a foot without being in neutral since I can't take it out of park? Wouldn't this part be covered under warranty to be taken to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.
Old April 26th, 2010, 7:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

You can drag it yes, but the wheels will be locked up.
A similar thing happened to my mom's Envoy. Her battery failed at a gas station and when she went to start her car back up, it wouldn't respond. She couldn't get the key out of the ignition either because of the key lock. Luckily we were able to get under the hood. You should be able to hook to it with either a towtruck, or you can find a suitable underbody member that you can hook to a truck and drag it out.
Old April 26th, 2010, 8:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If the key will go to the "start" position, you may be able to shift it into neutral, then roll it backwards..

For what a tow truck's going to charge, you could buy a good jump-box.(I did.)
Old December 22nd, 2014, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default ignition issue

I can turn the key to the on position but absolutely no power is evident. You can not turn the key all the way off to release the key. In no position while braking can the car be taken out of park.[/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post:
Kodi (December 6th, 2022)
Old December 22nd, 2014, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Car dead and keys stuck in ignition. How do I get them out?
Old December 22nd, 2014, 8:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by icecold45
Car dead and keys stuck in ignition. How do I get them out?
Welcome to the forum
What is the vehicle, year and model ?
Is the battery completely dead?
Is the vehicle able to be shifted from gear range and back to park?

Quick Reply: car dead and key stuck in ignition