Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Carburetor Rebuild or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2023, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carburetor Rebuild or Replace?

Hello All,

I am a new member on this forum, but will probably be a regular as I am doing a complete renovation on a 85 Chevy C10.

My question right now is, about the carburetor, should I rebuild, or replace?

Been looking at some of those Holly or Edelbrock units and am wondering what the general consensus is, Replace or Rebuild?

I know I have problems with the carburetor, I have to crank for quite a while before she will start, not running real smooth, and dying unexpectedly. Maybe just a cracked seal?

I am replacing the entire fuel system, new gas tanks, fuel lines, vapor lines, pump, etc.

The current carburetor is the original Rochester 4bbl. I would prefer not to spend 500 bucks on a new one, but I really want this old girl to run good when I finish this project.

Any help, suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old February 19th, 2023, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

you rebuilding or sending it out? if yr sending it out...what is the $ comparison vs new?

if you can find a kit with instructions for a good price...try it yourself.
Old February 19th, 2023, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

I will be rebuilding it myself, I have no idea who I would send it to. do you know, Will the kit come with instructions?
Is there any where I could find more info on the process?
Thank you
Old February 19th, 2023, 7:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Velder
I will be rebuilding it myself, I have no idea who I would send it to. do you know, Will the kit come with instructions?
Is there any where I could find more info on the process?
Thank you
If its a Rochester Quadajet I'd dump it for a Holley. Tuning a Q-Jet is a PITA. If your throttle shaft is worn out, you need a new carb, as it's allowing unfiltered air into your motor and leaning it out as well.
Old February 19th, 2023, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

It is a Quadajet, how do I tell if my throttle shaft is worn? when you say it is a pain to tune, is it something that can be done? or would I have to take it in?
If I were to swap it for a Holley, is there a particular one you would recommend?
Thank you
Old February 25th, 2023, 7:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Velder
It is a Quadajet, how do I tell if my throttle shaft is worn? when you say it is a pain to tune, is it something that can be done? or would I have to take it in?
If I were to swap it for a Holley, is there a particular one you would recommend?
Thank you
You'd need an expert on the Q-Jet like me, but I don't touch carburetors anymore. A 450-550 CFM Holley would work well, IMO. The trotter shaft is worn if it has play in it when you move it up, do and side to side. You can install bushinga but it a pain in the @$$.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; February 25th, 2023 at 7:42 PM.