Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Headlights not working

I have an 08 chevy aveo that as of yesterday worked fine, but now only one headlight is on and that is the driver side. At first they were both out but my husband shook the wires that went to the bulb and got them to turn on but about a half hour later the passenger side went out and it will not turn back on. We checked the fuses, relays took out the bulbs and they all work fine so what else could it be. I have no money and am hoping this is not an expensive electrical fix. Please if anyone has any idea please let me know. thanks.
Old October 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

If shaking the wires fixed it before even for just a little while, that is the answer. Something loose in the wiring. Keep shaking them and look for loose or broken connectors.
Old October 29th, 2012, 1:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen once. It was due to using hi powered bulbs. They were too high wattage and caused the ground wire in the socket to get hot and melt. So, are you using stock bulbs, if not then replace them and splice in new sockets.
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Pamela Medaglia,

I agree, it sounds as though there is a connection issue. Consider having the vehicle inspected for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted. Feel free to contact me privately if you have any additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service