Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch

My son has a 91' S-10 with a bad ignition switch. Can anyone tell me of the correct procedure for repacement?
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Get a Haynes manual for the truck, it should give you the instructions you need.
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here ya go...

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the lower column trim panel, then remove the steering column-to-instrument panel fasteners and carefully lower the column for access to the switch.
  3. Place the ignition switch in the OFF-LOCK position.
    NOTE: If the lock cylinder was removed on vehicles through 1991, the actuating rod should be pulled up until it stops, then moved down one detent; the switch is now in the Lock position.

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Fig. 1: Adjusting the ignition switch

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>
  4. Remove the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers, then remove the assembly. To install:
  5. Before installing the ignition switch, place it in the OFF-LOCK position, then make sure that the lock cylinder and actuating rod are in the Locked position (1st detent from the top or 1st detent to the right of far left detent travel).
    NOTE: Most replacement switches are pinned in the OFF-LOCK position for installation purposes. If so, the pin MUST be removed after installation or damage may occur.
  6. Install the activating rod into the ignition switch and assemble the switch onto the steering column. Once the switch is properly positioned, tighten the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers to 35 inch lbs. (4.0 Nm).
    NOTE: When installing the ignition switch, use only the specified screws since over length screws could impair the collapsibility of the column.
  7. Raise the column into position and secure, then install any necessary trim plates.
  8. Make sure the ignition is OFF, then connect the negative battery cable.
Attached Thumbnails Ignition Switch-85388080l.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; September 25th, 2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

I have an 81 GMC 1500... The ignition switch is frozen in the on position. I had to to remove the breather and choke the the engine down to stop it. How do I fix this. Is it the switch mecanism is the rod in a bind???/ I stared taking the cloumn apart yesterday and decided I needed so advice