Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

need engine swap tips

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2013, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need engine swap tips

so heres what i have going on, i have a really loud and powerful 350 in my 76 blazer, and a whimpy stock 305 engine in my newly acquired 81 camaro project. ive never done a chevy motor swap, but ive removed the transmission and tranfercase in my blazer three times, and some people tell me that is harder. so do you guys think i will need to take the hood off both vehicles? also there is no reson to pull the transmission out of either vehicles, both are 4-speeds. they probably have a different clutch size, but i just replaced the flywheel and clutch on the blazer motor, so if im correct it will slide right up to the camaro tranny, which should have the same ten spline shaft. they do have the same bellhousing... so basically any worthwhile advice for me? im planning on taking pictures and labeling where lines went but this should work out? my truck will be for sale soon to pay for windows and a paint job for the camaro message me if anybody interested.. its a driving truck today hah has a sm465 4 speed and 205, half ton of course, about 4 inches of lift and rides on 35 inch swampers.. i could throw in the stock 305 for it too im not doing anything with it
Old June 1st, 2013, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've changed more chevy engines then i would have liked to lol yes you got to remove the hoods, otherwise getting a cherry picker or an A-frame in there is very difficult, but an engine swap to for me is way easyer then tranny jobs, i will tell you the more extensions you have the better, i just had a 84 camaro took out the 700r4 trans droped a th350 in then took my tired 350 out and droped a hopped up 1962-1963 327 in her.... its pretty easy though, undo motor mounts, unbolt tranny, take off all accessory pop your exhaust off the heads and hook a chain up try and hook the chain to where you can move the engine around to help pull it and drop it in, and as far as the clutch goes it should drop right in, while your in the bellhousing check your clutch fork and pivot ball for excesive wear, if they are wore out you will go through throw-out bearings fast... hope this help