Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2010, 9:04 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes you will need a fuel pressure gauge which is available at most auto parts stores or harbor Fright for about $20 or less...
Your description of the issues sounds to me to be fuel pump related, the pump may be working but its probably weak and sometimes the fuel bleeds down and it takes a while to start, other times it catches just right and fuel is there....
It could also be poor delivery thou so a couple bottles of fuel injector cleaner in a tank of gas could also clear it up temporarily...
If you check the pressure yourself be careful as there will be some exposure to gasoline...
Old August 27th, 2010, 9:15 AM
Administrator

(1) In-Line Fuel Filter
(2) Fuel Feed Pipe
(3) Fuel Pump Flex Pipe
(4) Modular Fuel Sender
(5) Fuel Return Pipe
(6) Fuel Pressure Guage
(7) Fuel Rail Assembly
(8) Fuel Pressure Regulator
(9) Fuel Pipe Shut-off Adapters
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
98 lumina fuel.pdf (161.7 KB, 190 views)
Old August 27th, 2010, 9:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the advice, I will look into the fuel pressure gauge, change the filter and get cleaner. But i have a question, if my fuel pump was the problem or fuel filter would my car stop attemping to turn over. When I have this problem it usually only tries to turn over once or turns over once waits awhile (about three seconds) then attempts to do it again. Wouldnt that be the battery? shouldnt it make a noise constantly when I am turning the key?
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Administrator

mikeythe613, I was working off of your statement
"This morning about 2 days after it did the same thing but after the first time it didnt work I pumped the gas as I tried to turn the key and it started fine and now it seems to be ok again..."

is why I suspected a fuel issue, but if you are having cranking issues and not so much starting issues then yes, I would focus on the electrical...
You can have the battery checked at most auto parts stores for free some will also check the charging system...
Its possible you have a poor connection to the battery with the ground cable being loose or corroded or the starter cable from the battery to the starter...

make sure the cables are tight on the battery and at their connection points on the block and the starter. If you see a lot of white powdery stuff or green crust on the cables that is corrosion and can go up into the cable jacket and basically rot the wire...
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I already posted this but i guess it didnt go through, I bought a new battery and it worked niceeee