Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Traction Control Off, Service StabiliTrak, Engine Power Reduced

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2021, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Traction Control Off, Service StabiliTrak, Engine Power Reduced

4/12/2021

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I bought a 2013 GMC Acadia from Mike Castrucci Chevrolet in Milford OH on 2/27/2021. The first couple of weeks, everything was great. This is the first vehicle that I've ever bought from an actual dealership, the previous vehicles I've owned were all beaters with a combined value of less than this single GMC alone. I bought it for about $10k. So two weeks after I brought it home, I was driving home one day, and the "traction control off" code ran on the dash, along with "engine power reduced" and "service stabilitrak." It began to lose power so I pulled over, turned it off and back on and it ran fine, other than the check engine light coming on. I thought...huh. There's no way that there's a problem, we just bought this vehicle. We continued home, and the car ran fine after that for about a week, and we got the code ran at AutoZone which said "Ignition Relay 2." We put in a new ignition relay, but the code was still there. Then, it did it again, and again, and again. Each time, getting progressively closer to the following time, and eventually I had to wait 10 or 20 minutes before restarting the car. I took it to a local shop, he replaced my alternator for $500. A day later, it did it again. The problem has since become worse. A couple of days ago, my boyfriend calls me from work saying "hey I can't get the car to start at all." I go to pick him up and we noticed that the back left tire pressure was reading 44, while the rest of the tires were reading 29. So that makes me think the problem is a wheel sensor, which is what I was hoping for, but when the local guy we always go to said it was the alternator, I trusted him, since he's obviously a mechanic and has several years of car maintenance under his belt, whereas I am only a YouTube certified mechanic, and can barely change a headlight. Can someone please help me? I take it to GMC tomorrow (Tuesday 4/13/2021) to get a diagnostic done, but I'm having some pretty intense trust issues with GMC as well as mechanics now so I'd like strangers opinions, if you don't mind. Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2021, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**Update 4/16/2021
So I took it to my local GMC called Bush Auto in Wilmington OH. They said there was a short in my Engine Control Module, and it needed to be replaced for $700. Okay, so I went to pick it up yesterday, and it's not doing the "traction control/service stabilitrak/engine power reduced" but now it's having like...seizures? while I'm driving. At first it was around 35 mph, and then I stopped at a red light, went to accelerate, and it wouldn't accelerate correctly like it wasn't getting enough power. And then I got up to 60mph, and it started SHAKING really bad for a long time, about 2 minutes because I pulled my phone out and recorded it. The RPM thing kept going up and down between 1, 2 and 3. So now I have to call them back and see what the hell they did. I'm so over this whole situation I'm about to drive it off a cliff. I work a mediocre job, I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on fixing a car that was supposed to be our first "real" car with a car payment. I'm just so over this and I don't know what else to do.

Last edited by sammii9684; April 16th, 2021 at 7:46 AM.