Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What is wrong with my truck?

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with my truck?

So after nearly 185,000 miles on my 2002 Suburban, I am getting a rotational whine coming from my drivetrain. The guy at Les Schwab says it is the spider bearings (according to the wife) I have never heard of a spider bearing. I do know that I have a problem so to be safe I am going to have all the bearings in the rear end replaced. Has anyone had a problem like this?
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

I work for chrysler and waranty rear-ends and front-ends are common... waranty meaning in the warranty period (5yrs 100k miles on anything recent). Enough chrysler bashing, yes bearings fail, rear ends need to be overhauled. I would have the work done at a reputable shop though, and have them diagnose it, as we regularly get tire shop "recomendations" that are unsettling.

although spider bearings??? I am assuming they mean carrier bearings, in which case there are other bearings that should be replaced, pinion and wheel bearings should be replaced if they have been sharing fluid with other failed bearings.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They mean the spider gears in the rear end. Does the noise get louder when you turn? Usually with a broken spider gear you will get a growling and or clunking noise when you turn. Before having it serviced I would drain your rear end fluid and see if there are any metal chunks in it. Could you please describe your symptoms a little more also?
Old March 8th, 2010, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

I know where the spider gears are but there are no "spider bearings"
Old March 8th, 2010, 3:56 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, carrier, pinion and inner and outter axle bearings.
Old March 8th, 2010, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

A little more background on the truck and myself. I am by no means a mechanic but I have turned alot of wrenches, the veritable shadetree mechanic. I new there were no bearings on the spider gears. I just replaced the passenger side axle seal myself a few months ago so the fluid is good and the spider gears as well as the rest looked okay save for what I feel is an excess of shavings on the magnet in the cover. I cleaned it well and replaced with the reccomended synthetic oil.

SYMPTOMS:

Driving it down the road I get a rotational whine. Standard bearing wear type sound. It seemed to react as if it was one of the front hub assemblies but after replacing them I still have it.
It is most prevelant at around fifty miles an hour. If I accelerate it falls off a bit, if I decellerate from fifty it falls off a bit, if I hold at speed is when it is the worst.
It does fluctuate when I go around curves, but not consistently.

I am definately going to have this done at a reputable shop. I don't feel confident enough in my own ability to do it.

Thanks guys for your input.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem its starts at about 20 mph and continues all through speeds. if i switch on the auto 4wd it goes away please help me..
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Same thing here, except mine is Carrier Bearings @ 140K Mi (being repaired as we speak).
I've owned vehicles since the late 50's, and this is the first time I've ever had a Rear End problem, and that included sustained High Speeds, Drag Strip and anything else I threw at them ! I just hope the Dealer doesn't short change things, and replace everything that may have been damaged due to the metal debris.

One thing I will admit to is...
Repairing the components (Ring-Pinion, Bearings, setting it up) is definitely a job for a Pro. I've tried doing some work on them (for others), and one needs a lot of experience and the right Tools to get the job to last.
Old November 28th, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default what do you guys think

I am curious about the fact that when the truck is auto 4wd the sound goes away, the most important question is:what will happen if nothing is done will the differential just explode. everyone is talking about the rear differential,mine is a front differential issue..Taking it to a dealer is going to be expensive..I dont understand why a recall has not been issued on this...
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

gmcnogoog,

It's always so difficult to diagnose without actually hearing the noise. There are shops out there which will advise you, without having to pay them up front, and, are qualified/specialized in Transmission/Differential problems. I'm sure by now, IF someone here had experienced the same problem as you, they would have spoken up.

The important thins is, that you take the initiative and find out just how bad/expensive/detrimental your problem is, and address it appropriately.

Last edited by SWHouston; November 28th, 2011 at 11:52 PM.