HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

How to remove steering wheel 2009 HHr

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2011, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove steering wheel 2009 HHr

I am replacing airbag module and unable to remove steering wheel. Any suggestions.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The stock steering wheel doesn't have to be removed to replace the air bag module (also serves as the horn button). It's kind of dangerous to muck around but if you feel up to it, then:

1. Disable the SIR system (disconnect the battery for two or more minutes).
2. Insert a 4-mm T-handle Allen wrench, or equivalent tool with a blunt end, through the access opening on either side of the steering wheel (1).
3. Insert the tool approximately 48 mm to contact the spring (2).
4. Push the spring fastener inward approximately 5 mm.
5. While keeping inboard pressure on the spring with moderate pressure, pull sharply on the air bag module.
6. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello,

1. I believe that you don't have to remove the entire steering wheel in order to access the air bag module.

2. Put the switch assembly into the new cover and make sure everything snaps into place.

3. Insert an allen wrench or other small metal object straight into one of the little holes and push towards center of the steering wheel and you will feel the clip move, that holds the horn assembly in place.

4. Apply pressure to the allen wrench/metal tool, holding it in place with one hand and use other hand to apply pressure inward until clip holding it in place releases. Clip is made out of metal, so it takes some strength in order for it to release.

5. Once enough pressure is applied, the clip will free itself and then you can do the same thing to the other side.

6. Once both sides are free, let the horn assembly hang by the wires during remainder of this process.

7. Take a phillips screwdriver and remove the covers from both sides...trust me, it makes things much easier to work with.

8. Once you have these out, you will be able to remove the harness ends much easier. Have the new harness handy, so you can see the 3 harness ends you need to remove from the steering assembly. The ones that go behind the brackets are a PITA to get through the steering column hole, so cut those hummers off and save yourself a lot of aggravation.

9. Using a small screwdriver or other metal object, gently lift up on the retainer that holds the last harness end in and pull it straight towards you until it has freed itself.
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! I really appreciate the prompt responces and guidance. The clockspring had to be replaced as well. Thats why sterring wheel had to be removed. We have it going our way. Thanks!!!!
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IndianDrives
HHR wheel drive slot is different indicator cam is horizontal instead of vertical, and nails on the back of the wheel is longer. Remains the same, and can always be changed if nothing else is available.
WTF, this makes no sense at all. I hope this doesn't represent the general educational level in India.
Old October 5th, 2011, 4:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Relax, EinSt,

IndianDrives is a spammer, and he's gone.
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default ignition cylinder lock housing 2009 hhr

I need to replace the cylinder lock housing out of 2009 hhr. anybody do this before?