HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

OnStar Disabling

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2011, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Shawn my actual name is Ann Marie. I want to disable the Onstar in my 2009 Malibu. I don't like the "Big Brother" aspect of the feature. I held a N.Y.S. Automobile Inspector's License for 10 years so if I have the specs I can do it but I have not worked in a shop for 7 so I'm a bit rusty with the wrench. Thank-You
Old October 16th, 2011, 3:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. One aspect of OnStar is the stolen vehicle recovery function. When you discuss the means to disable the OnStar on forums like this, no matter how easy or hard, you're doing service to the thieves at the expense of the paying subscribers. Granted, professional thieves already know how to get around systems like OnStar but carjackings are usually crimes of opportunity. It's always nice to hear carjackers foiled by OnStar from time to time.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

Talking

Dear Shawn or any other professional, I bought a 09 chevy malibu from insurance auction with deployed airbags. the airbag were and sensors were replaced, the Radio will not work, I took the vehicle to my local Chevy dealer, they fixed the airbag light by reprogramming it, The diagnosed the radio problem and said it got stuck in the phone use section, trying to call onstar setting. and came up that the communication interface module P# 22835669 would need to be changed that it may have internal failure, the module alone cost about $679 and labor would also cost about 50% of part cost. the part is a custom order and needed to be paid for upfront or agree for the purchase. I am hesitant paying about
$1000 for what I may not need. what is your advice to get this Onstar off and to allow my radio and other vehicle information to work. there is this phone icon on the display that would not leave, and a repeating beep from the musical system loud speaker.
Old June 16th, 2013, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default OnStar Removed Today!! - Error codes abound -

I had my OnStar removed at a place that installs OnStar. I have a new model 2007 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab (not classic model). Now I get the following error lights on my dash: Check engine, Brakes, ABS. And the service 4 wheel drive message appears.

I can still switch to 2wd, auto4wd and 4wd. I think I am having problems with 4wd low, becuase it blinks yellow but does not turn steady yellow, althought the 4wd yellow stays on. Never used 4wd low before, so I dont know if that is normal.

I'm going to take it to my trusted auto mechanic later this week.

Anyone have any ideas on the error code lights? Am I stuck with them forever?

Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Default onstar disable

Anyones Onstar can be disabled by Onstar at no charge to the vehicle owner. I do not mean just shut off but completely disabled . After several Month of back and forth phone calls Onstar finally admitted they could disable my Onstar and did it. The Bluetooth continues to work along with everything else but Onstar is gone. If you want this disabled they can do it and cannot BS you with safety issues or costs. The one drawback is if you ever want it back you will need to replace the Module . The Onstar portion of it will be fried . I have an 800 Number .. Privacy is our right and they are not above the Law..

Greg as for the Error lights they are connected to the Onstar Module I believe . when the Module was removed you will get a false signal to your ecm causing the error lights to come on. I would leave the module in and have Onstar disable it remotely. Like I said it only removes the Onstar features which are Junk anyway and its free ....

Last edited by Lifted07; June 18th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old June 26th, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help

New to the Forum. I recently bought an used 2007 GMC Yukon SLT. It has Navigation with On star and a back up camera. It has an open spot for XM, but I cannot find it. The used care dealer was sure that it was enabled for XM. Does anyone have any idea how to make this work. Also, is there a bluetooth device in this vehicle so I can pair my iphone up?

Thanks

DREW
Old June 24th, 2014, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy disable onstar

can you tell me where the module is for the 2012 camero
Old February 14th, 2016, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Onstar disabling

Originally Posted by DPris
Anybody else had this go-round in getting rid of OnStar?
Denis
I have a '16 Chevy Malibu and want to disable for personal safety reasons. What is the best way for me to do this and if I do will it also disable my Sirius radio? I have to be careful to not draw attention. I appreciate any helpful feed back
Old February 27th, 2020, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2019 Chevy Trax

Originally Posted by shawnvw
As stated in GM's Service Information: Right side of the rear compartment, behind the right rear wheel well

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want to disable the onstar system?
Actually in my Trax the onstar box is located on the ppassenger side in the dash. It's behind the glovebox.