Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

06 Impala 3.5L Oil Capacity

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 Impala 3.5L Oil Capacity

I have a 2006 Impala 3.5L & I change my own oil. The manual lists capacity as 4.5 quarts. I once put in 4.5 qts & the dipstick shows way over full. When I change oil & filter and add 4.0 qts, the dipstick shows full (even after running 2 min & checking for leaks). I am aware of the warnings to not over-fill an engine with oil. Since I use synthetic oil, I choose a longer duration between changes. I simply "top off" to full when needed. I recently drove alot of highway miles & got a CHECK ENGINE light. The code stored was P0011 and the manual states check/add oil as a possible solution. The oil on the dipstick was one-third up the gridded section of the stick. I added oil and cleared the code and it has stayed off. Now I am wondering what is the real capacity as indicated on the stick. Should I add 4.5 quarts to empty crankcase & mark the stick at that point or trust the dipstick? Incidentally, the stick is the twisted kind with a yellow handle and I believe this to be the correct one for this engine.

Thanks for your input,
06 impala dipstick guy.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id stick with the manual. You shouldnt have to adding oil. Synt oil is fine..
About this P0011 code:
Most likely a P0011 DTC will result in one of the following: hard starting, poor idle, and/or stalling. There are potentially other symptoms as well. Of course, when trouble codes are set, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, a.k.a. the check engine light) illuminates.

CausesA P0011 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Incorrect camshaft timing
Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system
Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
Possible SolutionsThis DTC code is a result of a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit. Notes: Dealer techs have advanced tools and the ability to follow detailed troubleshooting steps, including the ability to test components using a scan tool.
Old September 8th, 2011, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default P0011 on a 2006 Impala (3.5 liter)

I need some help from someone who knows about CAM actuators (CAM Phaser). I too have an issue with 2006 Impala setting P0011, but quite infrequently. The Pcode used to set 1 time per month (I use a scantool), but now it's setting every long highway trip that's over 1 hour. It usually sets 40 minutes (or about 40 miles) into the highway portion of a drive. It seems to be getting worse, and I'm worried it's going to lead to a major expense, but I don't know what.

It happens during very low throttles at highway speeds (e.g. 65-70MPH). The GM Tech 2 tool indicates the following conditions were present at point-of-failure: Engine speed 1675RPM. Vehicle Speed 63MPH, Engine Run time 52 minutes, MAP sensor 57kPA, ECT 192 degrees F, MAF 23.54, BARO 102 kPa. (ask if anyone wants to see more data). It's always the about the same driving conditions when it sets, and I've had it set about 15 times now.

I think it might be an oil pressure problem, since engine RPM is rather low (1600RPM) and engine temp is hot. Pedal is almost zero, but my foot is very slightly depressing the pedal. Manual states that "ECM detects that the CMP Angle position is more than 8 degrees difference than the Desired CMP position." Sounds like the "phaser" isn't getting to the commanded position fast enough. The oil level is right in the hash marks all the time. It's good oil, Castrol GTX, and I change at regular intervals. I have noticed that oil is starting to burn about 1 quart every 4000 miles.

Does anyone have any input or know any common typical causes of P0011?
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The camshaft position actuator solenoid takes a PWM signal and thus it could be a wiring issue or solenoid itself. If you have access to a Tech 2, you must have access to the diagnostics information as well. It shouldn't take too long to isolate the culprit by following the diagnostic instructions. Mind, the trouble code is set after so many fail counts out of a given sample counts which means you don't necessarily have to drive a hour before you'll observe a significant camshaft position variance.
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your advice! I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old September 11th, 2011, 8:38 AM
CF Junior Member

I've always put 4 quarts in my 3.5. The level stays on the full mark until the next oil change.
Old January 27th, 2012, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Can anyone explain why a P0011 (Cam Phaser) would cause an idle problem and poor starting? I thought the unpressurized state of the engine oil when engine off parks the CAM in the best place for idle? Why would poor idle result?.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

That would only make sense if P0011 were getting set at idle now (is it?). Can you describe this "idle problem and poor starting" in greater detail since we obviously can't be there to see for ourselves?
Old January 27th, 2012, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply...

Pcode never sets during idle, but I think RPM's must be above 1200RPM or so to set (I recall looking at the service manual). True to form, it only sets at highway speeds when engine is 1500RPM at 65MPH, but low throttles.

Situation is getting worse, P0011 guaranteed to set if I drive on the highway for more than 40 minutes(used to be every other trip). However, what I notice that has degraded the most is my starting and idling. It used to be 1 in 20 starts were bad(2 second crank followed by rich/poor idle). Now it's about 1 in 3 cranks are bad starts (2 second cranks) and idle is very low and stumbling. I can see electronic idle control trying to keep my car from stalling, but yesterday it stalled for the first time.

That's why I'm wondering what causes poor idle related to P0011. My mechanic looked in his database, and there isn't a known common issue with 3.5liter 2006 engine in this P0011 area. He was saying it's hard to debug which of mechanical/hydro-mechancial/electro-mechanical/pure electronic components to try first. His suggestion is to wait until it completely fails (and therefore can be debugged precisely) before fixing it. I don't believe it's a simple thing like a loose intermittent wire, I've never gotten the pure electrical diagnsotic, just the perfomance P0011 (I think P0011 checks commanded vs measured cam phase timing in degrees, sets the Pcode if it doesn't get to the commanded value in about 3 seconds). The CAM phaser generally tracks it's command well most of the time (hours/days/weeks of near perfect functioning, then 3 seconds failure at highway conditions (1500RPM, 10%TPS, 70MPH, 40 minutes of drive time) which is enough to set the Pcode. I already tried a more expensive, less restrictive oil filter during my last oil change. Oil level is always perfect, so those things didn't do it.

Background written 5 months ago: Peter12345

The Pcode used to set 1 time per month (I used a scantool), but now it's setting every long highway trip that's over 1 hour. It usually sets 40 minutes (or about 40 miles) into the highway portion of a drive. It seems to be getting worse, and I'm worried it's going to lead to a major expense, but I don't know what.
It happens during very low throttles at highway speeds (e.g. 65-70MPH). The GM Tech 2 tool indicates the following conditions were present at point-of-failure: Engine speed 1675RPM. Vehicle Speed 63MPH, Engine Run time 52 minutes, MAP sensor 57kPA, ECT 192 degrees F, MAF 23.54, BARO 102 kPa. (ask if anyone wants to see more data). It's always the about the same driving conditions when it sets, and I've had it set about 15 times now.
I think it might be an oil pressure problem, since engine RPM is rather low (1600RPM) and engine temp is hot. Pedal is almost zero, but my foot is very slightly depressing the pedal. Manual states that "ECM detects that the CMP Angle position is more than 8 degrees difference than the Desired CMP position." Sounds like the "phaser" isn't getting to the commanded position fast enough. The oil level is right in the hash marks all the time. It's good oil, Castrol GTX, and I change at regular intervals. I have noticed that oil is starting to burn about 1 quart every 4000 miles.
Does anyone have any input or know any common typical causes of P0011?
Old January 27th, 2012, 7:04 PM
CF Veteran

I did some digging after your extensive post and found bulletin #PIP3871 that covers a "Crank No Start" condition on the 2006 Impala and Monte Carlo with the 3.5 LZE engine. The contents of the bulletin can be found at Camshaft Position Actuator - GM Techlink. It says to inspect the camshaft position actuator magnet and replace if necessary. The bulletin doesn't contain anything more than that.