Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2005 Impala traction system question

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Impala traction system question

I recently, as of October, purchased a 2005 Impala 3.4L V6 to replace my old 1995 Monte Carlo 3.1L V6. Aside from the many new features I'm still getting the hang of, the ability to turn the traction control on and off with the push of a button is pretty nice. Where I'm from, we get snow. Lots of snow. Sometimes causing you to have to rock out of a tough spot. The Monte used to not want to work with me, and I got used to doing it the old fashioned way. Now, with the Impala, I can turn off the slip controls and get out of said tough spot.

Enough gushing. I have a serious question. I noticed the last few days that the "Traction Active" warning will come one when I'm leaving a spot and turning the wheel even though there isn't anything to be slipping on. I fear I may have done some damage trying to rock out of a snowy spot and not turning off the traction control.

I've read on Google that many people have had this type of problem, and it ranges from a dirty/wet sensor wire to a bad harness. I have an Actron 9145 Super AutoScanner, and haven't had any codes come up. I'm not sure if I have to be driving and run a diagnosis to see what causes the fault, or if it's just a bad wire. As I mentioned earlier, we get snow. We have snow now, preventing me from getting under the car and checking the wires.

Anyone, which is a pretty general statement, come across this problem and find a permanent fix? I don't mind having to replace the hubs, as I have a 3 year extended warranty on the car that covers those parts. Any suggestions or pointers into the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.