Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2013 Impala LTZ purge valve mounting bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2021, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Impala LTZ purge valve mounting bolt broke

Hello got a question.. I was replacing a purge valve on a 2013 Impala LTZ and cross threaded the mounting bolt and broke it. I tried to extract the bolt with a drill bit and extractor but was not centered and drilled through metal I should not have and still can't get the bolt out. Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction as far as advice?

Last edited by CapoChopTx; February 3rd, 2021 at 7:44 PM.
Old February 4th, 2021, 2:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoChopTx
Hello got a question.. I was replacing a purge valve on a 2013 Impala LTZ and cross threaded the mounting bolt and broke it. I tried to extract the bolt with a drill bit and extractor but was not centered and drilled through metal I should not have and still can't get the bolt out. Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction as far as advice?
If it didn't look like plastic I'd use a Victor Wrench, but heating it with a hair blower might help, along with tapping it real hard with a plastic hammer. Youl'll need to find a larger bit to get this to unscrew. If you don't even plan on using it again, I'd use some JB weld to cinch it down, if the threads are stripped. It will never come back out again after that, however.
The following users liked this post:
CapoChopTx (February 4th, 2021)
Old February 4th, 2021, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
If it didn't look like plastic I'd use a Victor Wrench, but heating it with a hair blower might help, along with tapping it real hard with a plastic hammer. Youl'll need to find a larger bit to get this to unscrew. If you don't even plan on using it again, I'd use some JB weld to cinch it down, if the threads are stripped. It will never come back out again after that, however.
Thanks for the response! Yeah I stripped it pretty good and I wasn't even supposed to touch that gold part with the drill bit lol. Drilled right through the intake too. Found an intake at a local wrecker for $75.00, I'll swap out the intakes and put the new purge valve on with the original mounting bolt (not cross threaded) this weekend. Hopefully that gets rid of the check engine light.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (February 6th, 2021)
Old February 5th, 2021, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by CapoChopTx
I'll swap out the intakes and put the new purge valve on with the original mounting bolt (not cross threaded) this weekend. Hopefully that gets rid of the check engine light.
What code lead you to replace the Purge Valve?
Old February 6th, 2021, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maddog0324
What code lead you to replace the Purge Valve?
P0496 evaporative emission system high purge flow.
Old February 6th, 2021, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Put the intake I got from the wrecker on with the new purge valve and i'm still getting the check engine light. I'll head back to get another reading to see if it's the same code or something else.
Old February 7th, 2021, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Make sure to lube the Purge Solenoid o-ring before installing to ensure a good seal. I had one with a bad o-ring:

Old February 25th, 2021, 7:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an evap leak error on my 2014 Impala last fall. I did some checking and found the purge valve was stuck open. Since I still had 1 or 2 months of extended warranty left on it, I brought it to the dealer to change it under warranty. I was surprised when I picked it up that they mentioned some sort of bulletin that stated the evap leak error can also be caused by the right valve cover next to the firewall so they changed it as well.