Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2011 | 6:32 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by michplo
I have a 2001 lumina ,my problem is the flashing secunity light keeps flashing and i did the 10min and 30 mins relean and the light is still flashing don`t think it sees my keyor is it the switch contacts , can anyone help me out or an i dead in the water and need to go to the dealer for a fix
Is this a new cut key?
Old September 28th, 2011 | 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

no it`s about 5 years old car had 158,000 miles
Old September 28th, 2011 | 9:18 PM
CF Monarch

Is it a new key?
Old September 28th, 2011 | 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Uh oh, this thread is about Passlock. The 2001 Lumina came with PASS-Key II a.k.a. VATS that's based on the resistor pellet embedded in the key. Constantly flashing security indicator means the theft deterrent module is not sensing the correct resistance. The culprit could be the key, lock cylinder, or wiring to the theft deterrent module. An automotive locksmith should be able to make a house call and take care of it.
Old September 29th, 2011 | 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default i

If you want I can explain to you how to bypass the passkey system the problem is that taking the key in and out of the cylinder so many times has worn away the metal and the resistor embedded in the metal portion of the key is no longer making connection it is still making a good enough connection to start let me know if you would like to bypass it
Old September 29th, 2011 | 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default sorry guys

ok i am finally back after a little hiatis but if anyone needs a diagram to bypass either vats or passlock 2 then send me a message with your email in it and i will be sure to email it as soon as possible thanks and sorry again guys
Old September 30th, 2011 | 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

i took out the cylinder and found 1 wire was broke and the other was 1/2 broken ,with the car having 158,000 miles i went with the new cylinder and key which was $113.00 and i`m happy with that price. Put it in and car started the first time ,will take the old one apart just to see how it`s made. Thanks to all who helped me out with the infro. this is a great site and will keep it on my computer.
Old October 12th, 2011 | 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

Cables for passlock go directly to the BCM bluntly. The BCM sends a 5V reference signal for the sensor passlock, passes through the resistance in the sensor, and goes back to the BCM. If the voltage sent back to the BCM does not match what you have stored in their memory, and then you passlocked out.
Old November 5th, 2011 | 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

My wifes 1998 Grand Am is having same issues. about 1 yr ago she thought her starter was bad. turned out to be the ignition lock was bad her father (a mechanic) changed out the lock cylinder w/ new. Every since the car locks it self out with the blinking theft light. Some one told us it was probally due to the housing not being changed with the cylinder. I have been researching and found fixed from cutting the yellow wire from ignition to bcm with car running to wireing in a resistor at the bcm what is the best soultion? thanks
Old November 5th, 2011 | 3:57 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by buddy0310
My wifes 1998 Grand Am is having same issues. about 1 yr ago she thought her starter was bad. turned out to be the ignition lock was bad her father (a mechanic) changed out the lock cylinder w/ new. Every since the car locks it self out with the blinking theft light. Some one told us it was probally due to the housing not being changed with the cylinder. I have been researching and found fixed from cutting the yellow wire from ignition to bcm with car running to wireing in a resistor at the bcm what is the best soultion? thanks
Thats passlock II. The key has a "pellet" in it that is a resistor. These are 1-15, and I don't remember the resistance for these 15 keys. The cylinder should have come with a new key matched for the resistance the ecm is looking for. Yes there are two wires that tell the ecm that the resistance of the pellet in the key "match" You might also try with the key in switch, and on, not trying to start, leave it on for 10 minutes or so. Then off, try to start.

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!