Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2011, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I thought I was the only one with this problem, but I see that is not the case. When my 2004 Impala began the problem, it simply would not start, but I didn't think it was a battery problem, since radio, key alert chime, lights, everything else worked... it simply would not even turn over. I would 'try' to jump it off, and I might try a dozen times, or many more, with no luck, only for it to suddenly hit and crank right up. Mechanics would tell me they needed to be able to look at it when it wasn't cranking for them to help, but if it won't crank, how would I get it to them??? I replaced the battery, and the starter, and things were OK for a while, then it started again. It has done several other 'strange' things, like the doors locking and unlocking as I was driving, etc., and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy, when I explain these things to them. I am female, and unfortunately, we are taken advantage of by some people when we don't speak the language of auto mechanics, but I'm sure some males are as well. Most recently, a mechanic (retired from the world of Chevy dealership repairs) suggested a replacement of the passlock sensor, and I have gotten a cost of $500. That's OK IF it fixes the problem....NOT OK, if it doesn't. However, since I drive a lot with my work, I hate being on the road late, with my car not starting, so I logged onto this site to look around. I am in Huntsville, Alabama, and there should be someone here who can help me, rather than look at me, shake their head, and tell me they need to replace 3 things & it will cost approximately $1800. After reading about this many people with the problem, I think Chevrolet should do a recall.
Old July 28th, 2011, 6:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Unfortunatley alot of this CRAP is government mandated. I also believe GM for one, is into "aftermarket" sales. Lets all keep Rick Wagoner et al. at a 20 million dollar retirement
Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jondoe28
Mike (our mechanic) is coming out to work on a steiger tractor this weekend. I'll ask
him to write down how to dis-assemeble things and such. Mine works beautiful. Usually lasts a year at a time.
Sorry to beat this issue, but it is whacked.

Anyone ever get this? I currently have the front panels and ashtray removed and see all the wires. What is the best way to get the ignition assembly out from this point?

Anyone have updates about their "cures", contact cleaning or resistor, or even both for extreme measures?
Old August 25th, 2011, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Why hasnt GM issued a recall if this is so far reaching

How has GM gotten away w/o issuing a recall on this? I thought it was only a Saturn issue but I see it happens across the whole Chevy spectrum.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o> </o>
I am not alone in saying I will be very weary of ever buying a Chevy product again in fear I may get stuck with another lemon the company REFUSES to acknowledge their problem like so many have<o></o>
Old August 25th, 2011, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default passlock or ign switch

I just read through all pages and felt compelled to post this. I just replaced my ign Switch on my 02 silverado. It was corroded and instead of trying to clean it I bout a new one for 58$ at napa! It was causing a host of issues, especially with the tranny. If you dont get correct voltage through the switch it causes computer issues and anything is possible. It dosent have the passlock in it. its on the ign cylinder or on the outside part of the key cylinder. I put everything back together and car wouldnt start. WTF, started before I replace it. Did the relearn procedure. car would start. next day, no start, relearn again, and so on. I was disabiling the passlock and appearently after a certain amount of time it would re-enable.

Get this: the new switch had the three wires in wrong position as compared to old switch. Plus the connector to the passlock sensor wasnt very tight. I pulled the wires out carefully, squeezed the plug thingies to make better connection with pins and put in correct positions. Did the relearn and has been working now for a week!!!!! If I start getting the passlock out problem again, I will solder the wires to the pins or use gold plated connectors.

Also, instructions and procedures are all over the net. Google it.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

is there a way to just disarm the passlock?
Old September 16th, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

My by-pass (for a remote start) has been installed for a couple of years and no problems. The lastest thing is now sometimes my heater/AC either refuses to come on for some time and the cruise control light comes on the dash and you can make it go on and off by turning the heat control off and on. So weird, so frustrating, if it was not for chevy refusing to give us the econimacal fixes for these problems I would like their cars but now I will never by anther. All the dealers want to do is install expensive parts or the whole BCM around $800. I bought the bypass over the internet for about $19 and spent less time installing it than I did trying to get information to properly identify the wires.
Old September 17th, 2011, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

what is this particular re-mote bypass module you used? I'm in the same mind frame. If GM would at least offer a very inexpensive bypass option for this I would be compelled to purchase another GM vehicle and help support an American company. But as it is Toyota, Honda, and Ford (duh) are all also made in the U.S., companies that actually stand behind their vehicles and seem to give a crap about the customer.

Sorry GM I'm also in the long line of unhappiness and will look elsewhere..

Hey!! I have an 04' Impala for sale. Great deal!!
Old September 18th, 2011, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default I am interester ingetting your pictures

Originally Posted by jondoe28
Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.

I am interested in getting your pictures I am having the same problem with my impala. Thanks Larry
Old September 28th, 2011, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 lumina ,my problem is the flashing secunity light keeps flashing and i did the 10min and 30 mins relean and the light is still flashing don`t think it sees my keyor is it the switch contacts , can anyone help me out or an i dead in the water and need to go to the dealer for a fix

Last edited by michplo; September 28th, 2011 at 6:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!