Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Fuel Pressure Test on Flex Fuel Engine

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Test on Flex Fuel Engine

Hi,

I'd like to test the fuel pressure on my 2008 Chevy Impala 3.5L Flex Fuel, however the pressure tester available to me clearly states in the manual:

"DO NOT use Model CP7817 Fuel Pressure Tester on Diesel or Flex Fuel engines!"

1. Why is this?

2. How can I test the pressure safely? Another tester?

Thanks
-Blake
Old February 10th, 2012, 5:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It must contain seals and diaphragms that aren't designed for alcohol or diesel fuel. I don't see any problem using it with E10 gasoline in the tank. Are you just trying out a new toy or is there an issue with your vehicle?
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks.

So the issue has to do with the fuel that will be going through the tester, not with the car or tester. That's good to know.

I am, or more appropriately was, having an issue. The car stalled out while driving and then wouldn't start again. While turning the key the starter would only click. Occasionally, after resting, the engine might turn over once or twice but would never run for long.

I had it towed to a local repair shop, and they quoted my $1000 to replace my fuel pump assembly. They also told me that after "banging on the fuel pump" the car started running again. Now I'm going through the list of things, trying to figure out if they might have overlooked something.

Here are my results so far:
  1. Car has (and had, at the time of the initial problem) gas
  2. Fuses and relay are OK (this is an assumption based on the fact that I can currently drive it)
  3. Battery, starter, and alternator all passed a test at AutoZone
  4. Currently want to check the fuel pressure, possibly change the fuel filter (if serviceable) and then recheck

Any suggestions?

I just wish it wasn't so darn cold here!
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

There's no fuel filter to replace other than the fuel pump assembly itself. I don't know of a mechanism for the lack of fuel to cause a no start where "the starter would only click" or "turn over once or twice." What were they doing "banging on the fuel pump," before or after checking the fuel pressure? I think you just had a weak or discharged battery. When you took the battery cables off, were they okay as in not loose or corroded?
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

That's bad news about the fuel filter. I was really hoping that I might learn some more from inspecting/replacing it.

Unfortunately, I don't even know if they checked the fuel pressure...

The battery did have corrosion around the terminals. The auto shop cleaned them up. As I said before, the battery, starter, and alternator all passed their diagnostic test.

But I agree with you. I can't think of what may have caused the clicking. It seems like there may have been two problems.
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

If it's the original battery, it's probably due for a replacement. As the battery ages, its holding capacity degrades. Other than that, I don't think you need to worry about problem #2. Call me a cynic but it really sounds like they just threw the fuel pump out there in the hopes of catching you off guard. Was it an independent repair shop? BTW, 2008 100k/5yr powertrain warranty covers the entire pressurized fuel system including the fuel pump. If you're still covered, consider a visit to the service department next time.
Old February 11th, 2012, 1:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

check the battery connection at the starter also...loose connections at that end will cause "the single click from the stater solenoid ".
Old February 12th, 2012, 1:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

When they tested the starter at autozone; did they inspect for worn starter brushes?

worn brushes can cause this issue also.
Old December 11th, 2014, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default running problem with no check engine light

Car is sputtering chugging doesn't die
Old December 11th, 2014, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=jager2;290765]Car is sputtering chugging doesn't die fuel pressure is ok

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Test on Flex Fuel Engine