Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Gauge lights quit working - 2007

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2011, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge lights quit working - 2007

Guys:

I am a newbie to the forum.

We have a 2007 LT and a couple days ago the lights in the gauge panel quit working.

There are no lights on the speedo/tach gas gauge etc.

The gear selector LED still works as does the information panel (tripometer etc).

Everything else seems to work. Radio still works etc.

I have looked in the manual and checked the fuses that would seem to affect it and they are all okay.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by BigCanuck; April 25th, 2011 at 9:29 AM.
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. On the 2007 the BCM supplies variable voltage to the instrument illumination lamps. Does the I/P dimmer thumbwheel next the headlamp switch do anything? Is the headlamp switch itself illuminated?

Last edited by EinST; April 25th, 2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old April 25th, 2011, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. On the 2007 the BCM supplies variable voltage to the instrument illumination lamps. Does the I/P dimmer thumbwheel next the headlamp switch do anything? Is the headlamp switch itself illuminated?
The thumbwheel beside the headlamp switch does not change anything on the dash when I turn it back and forth.

However, if I turn it completely past the "click" it does still turn on the roof mounted interior lamp.

I am not sure if the headlamp switch itself is illuminated I never made a mental note about that - sorry.

I do know the headlamp switch itself works. It will turn the headlights on/off etc.
Old April 25th, 2011, 5:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason I asked if the headlamp switch is illuminated is because its illumination lamps are on the same circuit as those in the instrument cluster. Anyway, I don't know how far you want to take this troubleshooting but it can get ugly and dangerous (may need to start taking things apart).
Old April 26th, 2011, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
The reason I asked if the headlamp switch is illuminated is because its illumination lamps are on the same circuit as those in the instrument cluster. Anyway, I don't know how far you want to take this troubleshooting but it can get ugly and dangerous (may need to start taking things apart).
Okay I will confirm if the switch itself lights up.

I did notice that what I said earlier was not 100% accurate.

When I turn the dimmer thumbscrew it does dim the LED screen (gear selector, info etc). It also dims the KPH/MPH that is in the centre of the speedo. No other lights on the gauges work though.

Now - you ask if I am comfortable tearing things apart - the answer is yes. My Father retired from 35 years in the body shop of a GM dealership so I can get his help.
Old April 26th, 2011, 6:15 PM
CF Junior Member

I am not sure on these newer models but the older models had a tale tale sign. On these models when the trailer/tail lights had blown a fuse the dash lights would also go dark. Have you checked all of your fuses both in the dash and under the hood? Do this first before you go any further. Keep it simple and look at the simplest solution first. Good luck.

Hope it helps.