Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

My Impala is a Former Police Cruiser..

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My Impala is a Former Police Cruiser..

Unknown to myself at the time of purchase, my 2005 Impala was a former Police cruiser vehicle. How did I discover this? Well, I got home with the vehicle and locked the doors with the button lock on the inside Driver's side door. When I used my key later to unlock the car, the alarm went off and I could only turn it off my putting the key in the ignition. I called the person who sold it to me and stated that I think he forgot to give me the keyless entry fob..he made up some BS story about losing it years ago and never locking his door..he was lying,...whatever. I took it to the dealership and bought the keyless entry and took it to the Service department who weren't able to program it so I left it there. They called me a couple hours later saying this was a former Police car and the module had been removed. They wanted to charge me $795 plus labor to install the module, etc. Does this sound right? If I can't have a working keyless entry, then all I want is to disable the alarm-I can't lock the doors without having it go off everytime I use the key to unlock. Do I have any other options?? This seems ridiculous..HELP!! Thanks..
Old March 7th, 2011, 8:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There must be some connection wire attached to the lock cylinder or door handle. Other than that you may be able to disable the wire to the horn. You should get the shop manual and find out what relay controls that. It should be labeled as an anti-theft relay and pull it out.
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM
CF Active Member

Get a new key phob from ebay fot the car. Then google for the reprogram instructions.
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Thumper_ehhhhh
Get a new key phob from ebay fot the car. Then google for the reprogram instructions.
Thanks, Thumper but I did purchase one and the dealer couldn't reporgram as they said the module was removed-that's how I found it was an old police car.
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
There must be some connection wire attached to the lock cylinder or door handle. Other than that you may be able to disable the wire to the horn. You should get the shop manual and find out what relay controls that. It should be labeled as an anti-theft relay and pull it out.
Thanks, Race-I will check those out. Where is the easiest place to get a shop manual?
Old March 8th, 2011, 4:30 PM
CF Active Member

Can you get the module from the wrecker too?
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Thumper_ehhhhh
Can you get the module from the wrecker too?
The Dealer wanted to charge me $895 to order/install the module..I said "no thanks".
Old March 9th, 2011, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by strutter68
The Dealer wanted to charge me $895 to order/install the module..I said "no thanks".
I understand that. But if its a plug and play item you can get from the wreckers for cheap and install yourself. Or just get a aftermarket alarm with door lock and auto start.
Old March 9th, 2011, 7:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Race-I will check those out. Where is the easiest place to get a shop manual?
Ebay, my good man.
Old March 28th, 2011, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Unknown to myself at the time of purchase, my 2005 Impala was a former Police cruiser vehicle. How did I discover this? Well, I got home with the vehicle and locked the doors with the button lock on the inside Driver's side door. When I used my key later to unlock the car, the alarm went off and I could only turn it off my putting the key in the ignition. I called the person who sold it to me and stated that I think he forgot to give me the keyless entry fob..he made up some BS story about losing it years ago and never locking his door..he was lying,...whatever. I took it to the dealership and bought the keyless entry and took it to the Service department who weren't able to program it so I left it there. They called me a couple hours later saying this was a former Police car and the module had been removed. They wanted to charge me $795 plus labor to install the module, etc. Does this sound right? If I can't have a working keyless entry, then all I want is to disable the alarm-I can't lock the doors without having it go off everytime I use the key to unlock. Do I have any other options?? This seems ridiculous..HELP!! Thanks..

Why not just have a good aftermarket remote start/keyless entry system installed? You can get a very good unit installed for about a third of the price the dealer wants for just the module. Problem solved plus you ge a remote start unit. I had a Viper 5101 installed locally in my 2004 9C1 Impala for $300, well worth it.

Interestingly enough the window sticker for my car (yes, I got the window sticker) listed "Keyless Entry Delete" as part of the 9C1 package, so I'm wondering if your car EVER had it, and maybe the dealer is just full of it.
You could visit this site: Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, and Mazda Trucks VIN Decoder and put in your VIN #, it spits our a pretty complete build sheet for your car. That might tell you if it even came with the keyless system.