Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

A new chime sound in my '03 Impala?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2011, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new chime sound in my '03 Impala?

I have an '03 Impala (3.4) with 293K Miles on it and I still love this car!

.... but it has suddenly started sounding a new chime. This is a higher pitched chime that is faster than the normal chime at start up and it is not accompanied by any idiot lights.

It typically starts after I've driven about 30 miles and continues until about 5 minutes after I turn the key off. Autozone hooked up their code reader and there were no codes. I called the service dept at the Chevy dealer where I bought it. They could hear the chime on the phone during the call and told me, "We've never heard that before."

Well, great I'm not going to pay the dealership $95 so they can plug in their code reader and also tell me there are no codes.

It's not overheating, the battery was replaced about 7 months ago, it's not using oil, etc.

Has anyone heard of this type of chime? I'm slightly tempted to disconnect my left speaker...but I'm really afraid to do that.

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2011, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I couldn't take it anymore..... I disconnected my left front speaker
Old April 14th, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Update!
One morning last week, I went out to start the car and found that the battery had been drained. I put it on a trickle charge for an hour and was able to start it. After encountering this for several days in a row, I decided to reconnect the left speaker; I found that the chime/alarm was still sounding but now, instead of sounding after driving a few miles, it was sounding 24/7!

It doesn't take a scientist to realize that something was getting progressively worse, so I disconnected a battery terminal and connected a multimeter between it and the battery.... there was a steady 6-volt draw!

This morning, I took it to my Chevy dealer and it turns out that my radio has a short that makes it think it is in an alarm condition, putting the constant drain on the battery.

For now, I just had them pull the fuse on the radio rather than pay the $500 for a new radio (built-in computer for tire pressure, oil life, yada yada). I have 296K+ miles on my Impala and I'd rather spend the $500 on it to prolong its life.

I was told I can always put in an after-market radio but I'll have constant oil life and tire pressure warnings. Does anyone have suggestions?

Bottom Line: Listen to your chimes, even if there is no warning light.