Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2007, 9:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traction Control

Had the Right front wheel speed sensor replaced AGAIN. 2 weeks later ABS activating again. This time I can hear it activating while cruising at 40mph, 55 mph. And it activates multiple times in a row at 15mph-turning, slowing, pulling out. Tried pulling out onto a major highway & the Traction Control activated & wouldn't shut off! Thought I was going to have an accident. I've had enough!!!! Had the ABS Module disconnected. I'll put up with the lights on. Maybe someday they'll find a real solution...or there will be a recall (I crack myself up w/that one!!) Then I'll have it fixed. Until then...ABS free!!

Old August 18th, 2007, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

there is a tsb on this and is fairly common.replace the front speed sensor harnesses,wires will break inside the insulation and separate on turns.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 5:23 PM
CF Junior Member

i took my dash off, disconnected the Trac. button and reconnected it
Old September 25th, 2010, 6:29 AM
CF Beginner

I have had the same problem with my Impala for the last six months. The garage has replaced the wheel bearings, which worked about a month. Three more times and each time said the wheel bearing was bad. How can it go for 100,000 miles on one wheel bearing and can't go 500 on a new one? He even said when he changed the last bearing it looked good and could not see why it was the problem, but was warranted and changed it again. Again about 3-4 weeks again started. This appears to be a HUGE problem with GM as when I search there are hundreds of people posting with the same problem. Is this a recall problem which GM is not wanting to admit to? It appears this is a faulty and possible safety problem. My brakes do not work proper when this starts happening and almost made me not able to stop in time at an intersection when the TC kicked in and trying to stop......
I feel there must be a wiring problem, as the last time the mechanic placed a lot of plastic wraps around the connections and has it locked in place so when turning will not move.
Old October 1st, 2010, 2:30 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem right now....Changed both wheel bearings twice in the last two years. Im taking a look on monday but i heard its the wire harness sensor that you hook up your abs to. I heard if you use butt connectors and rig it that it should work. Not a pro but thats the only thing i haven't done to try and fix it. Will let you know if it works.
Old October 21st, 2010, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Traction activated in Olds Silhouette at slow speeds

Any updates or solutions to the Chevy traction control problem? I have a silhouette with 120,000 miles. Traction is activated when I'm backing up, pulling out or turning right....always at slow speeds...almost didn't make a turn yesterday due to TC activation when turning right into a driveway! Haven't taken my car in yet (thought I'd trouble shoot online first before I got in the shop), but I'm very discouraged by reading this thread. Don't want to pour hundreds into a fix that isn't going to fix it! Only other thing I'm experiencing with the car is a squeeling in the brakes that started happening about the same time as the traction issue. Figured I was just due for new brake pads. Any suggestions on what I should tell the shop when I take it in???
Winter is coming and I have 5 kids to cart around....can't be without a car, or stuck in a snow bank b/c my car won't turn this winter!!!! Please help!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

I've had this issue on both my previous impala's and my current one. The only way I have found to fix it is by turning tc off as soon as I get in the car. Or just permanently disconnect it. BUT this will disable ABS and Tc
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone had a chance to try replacing the wiring harness yet? I've had the same issues. Luckily in my case, the traction control system is completely dysfunctional and I no longer have to worry about the ABS kicking in on dry pavement!! Definitely almost rear ended a few cars when it was on the way out.
Old January 9th, 2011, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

I haven't done the wiring harness. I have heard the wiring is mostly the connection, like if you have your brakes worked on the mechanic pushes this out of the way and breaks a wire, or whatever.

I had same problems, I took my car to a mechanic who put it on his scanner and he said the left front speed sensor/hub is shot and that the right side could possibly be the wires, he said try that first. I fixed the left side (ordered Timken part from Amazon for $94) and messed with the right side wires. No go so I put a new hub on the right side, same part number.

All my trac control/ABS problems went away.

Keep in mind you have speed sensors in the rear hubs too. You need a decent scanner to pinpoint ABS issues.