K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2006, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont Start

Ok Ill try and start from the begining I saw this truck about a year and a half ago when I was mowing grass for my grandfather at the local gas tank repair shop it was a rusted out 75 K-5 blazer with a meyers plow on it and it sat for about a year or so until it sparked my intrest and I thought, ah what the heck and went in and bought it from the guy for 300 bucks with out the plow and I drove it home it ran fine and I used it now and again until my jeep died (big suprise) and then I drove it for the past couple months and the only problem I have encountered was one of the radiator hose clamps breaking. then I came out of work about a week ago and tryed to start it, it cranked like the battery was low and clicked a few times and then did nothing so we tried to jump start it and then you could Ocassionally click or the radio would turn on but most of the time nothing I tried charging the battery and nothing, tapped on the starter and nothing or the most you will get is the ocassional click, then nothing. Like I said this truck ran great up until now and it really hurts me to se it sittin there like that I would appreciatte any and all help.
Old January 25th, 2007, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Wont Start

I would think starter. Have you tried shorting out the solenoid?
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

It was the starter replaced it a while ago and now it runs like a charm but now I have other problems to deal with like the 4 wheel drive not working.
Old January 26th, 2007, 3:37 AM
CF Beginner

What's happening with the 4WD? Glad you got the starter problem solved.
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Lock in the hubs and shift the transfer case into 4 wheel it doesnt work I have to take a little closer look at it tonight make sure its not somthing obvious
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

Ok today after a breif lookover I tried to turn out the hubs one turned right to free the other will not move and the transfercase is in two high so I dont know the problem If I take the cover off what is in there do I have to be careful of
Old January 29th, 2007, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Alright I pulled the hub off just the cap that is held on by 6 screws and it was a little rusty and wouldnt move move so and to figure out how they work I tokk the cover off of the other and it was clean with just a light coat of grease so I freed it up with a little liquid wrench and a little help from a mallet and itwas loose so I put it all back together and tried for a little test drive and it partially worked first I couldnt get the truck to move at all because the tranfer case was in neutral and I pulled back hard and it went into 4 hi and seemed to work and then that was all I got it to do any ideas I just cant figure it out.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 2:40 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry there Snowman....didn't mean to leave you out in the cold like that (punny). Okay, maybe not funny to you. Need to know a few things...manual or automatic....How many bolts are around on the front differential pan? How are the fluids in the transfer case and front differential? If it's been sitting for a long time everything is bound to have seized up and some you'll be able to free and other's maybe not? I know you've been driving it so 2WD works fine. You don't have to lock the front hubs in to put it in 4H or 4L unless you are really going off-road. At least with mine I didn't have to. I do remember the transfer case being stiffer than H tho. Tell me all the different scenarios you've tried and I'll put my thinking cap on. Been a while since I worked on one of these old baby's. I know this really wasn't that helpful this time.
Old February 11th, 2007, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

No im sorry to I got it figured out the one hub was siezed and a little lubricating and it works now and the transfercase needed a through lubing good as new now thanks for your help.
Old February 11th, 2007, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

I glad you figured it out!! I love those old Blazer's and had some of my best 4X4 days in them. Cheers!