Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Malibu no start

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2007 | 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Malibu no start

I have a 2000 Malibu Ls, my daughter drove out of town. The highway driving was fine. After visiting friends drove to the store, on way back car sputters and dies. Will not start. Turns over or cranks but will not start. Can not hear the fuel pump. changed fuel pump relay still nothing. Tried siphoning gas but hose will not touch gas, is there an anti siphone device? Can it be anything other than the fuel pump??? Here in canada they want almost $500.00 for one. Any help would be much welcomed
Old September 5th, 2007 | 11:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 2000 Malibu no start

most likelt the fuel pump and yes most newer cars have a screen in them, so the hose wont reach the tank.....why were you syphoning gas???

could be any number of things electrical and what not, but most likely the fuel pump.....

and $500 is not bad for one in Canada.....then you have to get someone to install it...
Old September 11th, 2007 | 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Possibly this is your problem. I had the same issue.

ORIGINAL: chevygirl2002

Mine does this all the time? It's usually my darn Theft System. Does it constantly. Lately it's been good, but every now and then, it'll just turn on, and I have to wait 10 minutes with the car just turned on, not trying to start the car.... and take the key out, open and close the door, then it'll start right up. If the Theft System isn't turning on, check the light on it... Cause a couple of my friends who also have malibu's have the same exact problem. To me, that's the only thing that really makes me want to drive something other than a malibu... but I love it too much! lol.
Also, there's sometimes if the fuel is low, like around quarter of a tank, and it'll just poop out... so I like to put it in neutral, push is up and down the drive way... and it gets it started just fine. Hope this might help ya! CHEVY STILL RULES!! lol.
Old September 11th, 2007 | 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

thanks guys it was the fuel pump
Old September 11th, 2007 | 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

siphoning gas because the tank was full and did not want to deal with a full tank when I dropped the tank to change the fuel pump. It was a testy job but easier than I thought. did the work myself. I was told by a number of people that you should only use dealer pump so I went with a used one from government salvage that had only 95,000 km on it. Again thank you for all your help. Hope my bad luck will help someone elsr.
Old September 12th, 2007 | 12:09 PM
CF Pro Member

I would have used the dealer...it would have gave you warranty at least, one with 95,000km on it is basically a bomb looking for a place to happen.......curious what was the milage on yours when it crapped out......?