Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Malibu Problems

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Malibu Problems

hopefully someone can help me , i got a regular malibu , but i have a few problems with it the first problem i have is my turn signal seems like it shorts out because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt and also for some reason sometimes i get a loud repeating clicking like part of the turn signal sound for no reason i know of , and my second problem is my ac has 5 different settings well the 1st , 2nd , and 3rd setting dont work at all but the 4th and 5th do i didnt know if it was a simple short to fix or a big problem , also for my drivers side door a long time ago someone tryed to steal the car and now i cant unlock the car from the drivers side , i didnt know if it was just a simple plastic piece that broke or something more

i know its seems like a few problems , trying to fix these to be able to sell the car and help would be very gratefull
Old February 16th, 2008, 3:49 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Malibu Problems

your turn signal issue sounds like an intermitten bad bulb. The filament seems to be making connection when it wants to. When it is acting up, go around your car to see if there is a bulb out.

The fan problem is your blower motorresistor located under the dash on the passenger side. part is usually around $50

I assume the door will not unlick from the outside of the vehicle?....you will have to take the door skin off from the inside and see if the rod to the lock cylinder is either broken off or hopefully just popped off and needs to be re-attached.

hopefully this all helps!
Old February 17th, 2008, 8:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turn signal is probably the hazard flasher, the turn signal flasher is built into that and theyhave had alot of problems with them. Resistor for the blower, and more than likely a rod off inside the door. All easy fixes
Old February 18th, 2008, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

if it is the resistor for the blower motor which is bad , how can i tell its bad ? also where under the passenger side is it like underneath the glove compartment and were do i take the pieces off to get to the resistor

regarding the turn signal if it is a blub any possibility where the problem could possibly be or if its in the hazard which might make sence because the clicking sounds i think is coming from or near the hazards if its the hazard how involved is that

thanks for all the help
Old February 18th, 2008, 7:49 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the blower motor resistor is way down underneath beside the blower motor. It is right next to the firewall, and it has 2 5.5mm screws holding it in. Kind of a bugger to get. I usually use a swivel 5.5mm to get the rear screw.

KTM had a good point about the flasher maybe being the hazard switch....GM is accually covering these switches under warranty for 10 years or 150,000 miles

Document ID: 1750030
Special Policy Adjustment-Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Flashers - (Jan 11, 2006)

Subject:
04098 -- Special Policy Adjustment - Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Flashers
[align=left]

Models:
1999-2002 Chevrolet Malibu[/align][align=left]

1999-2002 Oldsmobile Alero[/align][align=left]

1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass[/align][align=left]

1999-2002 Pontiac Grand Am[/align]

Condition
Some customers of 1999-2002 Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Alero, Pontiac Grand Am, and 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass may have turn signal/hazard flashers that become inoperative.
Special Policy Adjustment
This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
For 1999-2000 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after December 23, 2004 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to December 23, 2004 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
For 2001-2002 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after January 11, 2006 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to January 11, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 6:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Yep ... Gm had a recall campaign on the hazard switch ... however , it may also be the multifunction switch assembly ... as was the case with my Malibu.

For the blower speed issue ... as previously mentioned ... the resistors.