Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu Classic Rear window issue

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2011, 9:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
Please read my post #7 above carefully. The motor is fed power over two wires, one battery voltage and the other, ground, when actuated. The motor winding cannot be electrically grounded through the housing because the motor needs to turn clockwise as well as counterclockwise depending on the power polarity.
I'm kinda thinking one is up, and the other reverses the polarity for down (or rather reverses the power into the mootor)? Just thinking, up, down?
Old September 24th, 2011, 9:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I have alot of respect for EinST post, very informative. About the power window, i went back and thought about it. He might be right, as I agree with his logic. I looked in my 96 lumina manual (power windows are.....) Looks as if the power is switched either up or down. I didn't see a ground wire on the motor in the diagram. Didn't mean to step on anyones toes.
Old September 25th, 2011, 8:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes there's no easy way to explain something in writing which is probably why there's so much confusion out there. As long as I'm party to this thread, I didn't want it becoming another source of misinformation.
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
If by "new switch," we're talking about the left rear window switch, i.e., the switch on the driver side rear door, it gets both the power and ground from the driver window switch, i.e., the master switch. Window rolling down but not up would mean the PPL wire is not getting the ground. If the symptom were consistent with both the master switch and the left rear window switch, the fault would be within the master switch.
EinST is the man. Brought out the multi-meter and hooked it up to the plug connector on the side that wouldn't roll up. Check out that when press down on the master switch (driver switch), meter reads 11.78 v. When press up meter reads 0.00 v. Ordered in a new master switch and everything is dandy. Thanks EinST! Send me the invoice.
Old September 27th, 2011, 6:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh, that's not conclusive. You read voltage with window switch in down direction but no voltage in up direction on the same wire. What about continuity to ground? On the connector at the window motor, if one wire reads voltage with the window going down, it should then have continuity to ground with window going up while the other wire now should read voltage.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what did you all decide on this? My window is now duct taped up! Do I order the motor or the master switch?