Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu Trans. problems

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jasew503
We picked up the car 2 days ago, and the problem appears to be gone, since we havent had any issues so far (however its only been 2 days.)

According to the service papers, the dealership replaced/performed the following:

1x Valve
1x Valve Body Kit (I assume Seals and Gaskets)
8.8 Qts Fluid.
Emergency Rush Delivery of the Parts from GM
Cleaned Valve Body

(They also washed and vacuumed the car, of course)

What they DID NOT REPLACE:
The 1/2 tank of Gas that was in the tank

It was having a serious 2-3 second delay on the 1-2 upshift when warm or cold, and general poor performance when cold. After a cold start the car would feel as if I was towing a heavy load behind it until fully warmed up. After warm up the car would sometimes appear to lock itself into second gear after stopping at an intersection, rolling back on even the slightest inclines. We have not had any issues since we picked it up 2 days ago and problem appears to be gone. I did contact the GM 1-800 customer service number before taking it in this second time to make sure they were aware of an issue. It appears there are literally thousands of others having similar issues with this transmission.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jasew503,

Thank you for the update. I am happy they are able to resolve the issue.

Please feel free to contact me privately if you have questions or concerns in the future.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malibu transmission probs

UPDATE: 2 days after getting the car back, we drove it for a significantly longer amount of time than our usual short trips (about 1.5 hours, in rush hour traffic) and noticed during stop and go traffic, the transmission would appear to lock itself into a higher gear (2 or 3) or just wasnt engaging when trying to take off from a stop. The transmission also was apearing to "slam" into first gear when downshifting. We will continue to drive it for another week to see if the shifting improves or remains the same, since the TCU's in these cars are self-programming based on driving behavior.
Old February 17th, 2013, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Where is the windowwasher resofwure on 2011 Malibu
Old February 21st, 2013, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Is there a way to upload a video. I have video of my car shifting hard. Maybe if I show everyone we can get some results. I just got my 10 Malibu back out the shop for the 4th time in less than 5 month. This time they only had it a week and 3 days. No only did the not fix the problems, now it has a slow start. It drags. Just my luck, the guy that worked on it wasn't in to talk to me.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jkrahn
Service rep claims all worked well; not sure how they could miss it though. I seldom drive this car, but every time I do, I notice the problem. I intend to go back to the dealer next week to pursue further before taking this issue to a 'higher power'. It's a bit of a sticky situation for me as the dealership is owned and managed by my uncle and his sons.

Since my last post I have dealt with my dealership's service people several times and have now had my last shot at repairs under warranty as it has now expired; the warranty that is. After the tech checked my transmission today, he called GM and was told that there are some vehicles showing the same problem I have and that it is a programming issue. Here's the kicker, there are not enough cars with this issue for them to create a fix; and they no longer use this transmission. So it seems I'm left holding the bag on this one and will have to live with it. After more than 30 years of loyalty,I may be done with GM!
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Transmission problem finally fixed for good

After having major a transmission problem in May 2012 on our 2012 Malibu with just over 2000 miles GM tried to repair it but it did not work. So we waited a month for a new transmission to arrive. (mean while they gave us a Cruze loaner to use and that transmission was crap too). The new Malibu transmission worked fine at first but then started to notice the hesitation which was in the original transmission. (We also had a 2012 Malibu rental with the same issue). The dealer could not find any issue this time so we waited and it continue to get worse but we were still under warranty so we were not overly worried . Gas mileage was no where near advertised amount which I suspect was the hesitation (slip) between gears. It was not going bad as fast and may have even stabilized but we were in no way happy with this. 2 weeks ago we found the fix for this. It has 100% eliminated all our concern. It is the only thing we found to resolve this issue/concern. We got rid of the car!!! Traded it in on a Toyota! I have other Toyotas and even though I prefer to buy American I found the Toyota has more parts made here then GM. funny thing is the dealer said it is odd as they are seeing many newer Mailbu's being traded in. Guess other have given up on this too. What a shame as we really like the Camaro but after many years of having GM products I have no desire to take another chance as I know my Toyota's have performed well and never had issues