Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Front wheel bearing - Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearing - Good or Bad?

My sister has a 98 Malibu which was in the shop a few weeks ago. The mech told her that he thought the right front wheel bearing was going bad, but he didn't tell her why he thought that. She had another guy look at it and he said the same thing but again no explanation as to why he thought it. Both guys work at shops so I want to think they know what they're talking about but both also wanted over $250 to fix it. So she asked me to look at it.

She says it makes no sounds or wandering while driving except for a slight vibration at 70-75 mph.

I jacked it up, the tire wear pattern is fine and I can't hear anything out of the ordinary while rotating the tire, other than a rubber squeak that sounds like the axle turning. It's solid, can't move the tire up/down while jacked up.

Question - what does a guy look for to tell if it's bad? The mechs have her worried about it and I've never worked with bearings on a front wheel drive. I'm used to inner/outer bearings on the old rear wheel drive cars.

Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grad the tire at top and bottom while jacked up push/pull in and out. Any movement it is bad. Grab it side to side and try that also.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks mdtahoe, I'll try that tomorrow night. Can't get to it until then.
Old May 24th, 2010, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Grad the tire at top and bottom while jacked up push/pull in and out. Any movement it is bad. Grab it side to side and try that also.
I haven't been able to do this check yet, but I have a strong suspicion I'll be replacing the bearing/hub unit anyway. Are there any tips/suggestions or things to watch for while removing and replacing it?