Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Malibu Restraints Issue

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malibu Restraints Issue

Hello All,

Today I became a Malibu owner! I bought a reconditioned vehicle as somewhat of a project, but it's really quite a nice car. First step is to straighten out an issue with the restraints system. I had my local mechanic read out the SDM codes and it looks like the LF and RF pretensioners are OPEN circuited. I pulled off the retractor covers and those son of guns that repaired the vehicle put a plain jane retractor in there without a pretensioner. So here are my basic questions:

- I have found "retractor assemblies" online for between $170 and $200. Can anyone confirm for me that the "assembly" includes the pretensioner device? (There are no pictures or further descriptions on the sites.
- Does the price sound about right or does anyone know where I can get them cheaper?
- Finally, once I get those installed, can my local mechanic reset the fault codes or do I need to get a new SDM (or send it to myairbags.com to get the unit reflashed)?

Thanks for any insight you guys can provided.