Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2001 Lumina Ignition Actuator Rod alternative?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2024, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Lumina Ignition Actuator Rod alternative?

Greetings All,
I have a 2001 Lumina and the end of my Ignition Actuator has broken at the points marked with red line in the attached image.
I'm looking for alternative repairs since the part is not available and the only one I've found for just the small broken end piece is almost $250 and I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous price for such a tiny part.
I am mulling over installing either a remote starter or a universal ignition which both would require either a bypass of the vats for the key or I could simply leave the key in the original ignition lock so it can be read by the VATS.
I'M including two other images including the one part I found for sale and another of the entire part as it would come new.
I live in the middle of nowhere and therefore have no access to any real junk yards to find parts such as a replacement steering column.

I would greatly appreciate any and all information and/or alternative ideas to solve this problem, I have never had such a hard time finding any single part or information such as videos or data sheets showing the replacement process of a part.

Thank You in advance for any assistance!

Old April 16th, 2024, 6:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

Were you able to recover the part that’s broken off? Or did it break into smaller pieces?

I’m not familiar with these but if the 2 pieces are in tact, you may be able to use a high strength epoxy to reassemble it then sand the excess to smooth it down enough to slide normally.
Old April 17th, 2024, 3:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 344 Likes on 325 Posts

JB Weld works great. File the edges at angles to give more surface to adhere to and file it down where necessary and leave it unfiled where you are able to.