Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Disable auto headlights in 06 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable auto headlights in 06 Monte Carlo

Yes I'm a noob to the site, I own a 2006 Monte Carlo LT 3900. I belong to other strictly MC sites but can't find this answer anywhere.

I searched the site and found results but none for my specific vehicle.

I want to disable the automatic headlights. I've already disabled the DRL's by pulling the fuses. I've read that replacing the ambient light sensor with a 600ohm resistor works on other new GM's to kill the auto lights, should this work for mine? Will I still be able to retain my auto HVAC?

Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2009, 3:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't say if it will work or not, I cannot find an exact resistance value of when the lights turn on or off. Installing the resistor will not harm the system at all so it won't hurt to try it.
And I also don't see how it would affect the HVAC....driving suring the day or at night, the auto HVAC should always function
Old August 31st, 2009, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

I'm just going off of what this says.I know it's for 07+ full size trucks/suv's but I guess I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by NYSt8ofMiNd; August 31st, 2009 at 8:18 PM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I tried it. I couldn't find 600ohm resistors at Radio Shack so I had to solder a 560 and 47ohm resistor together for roughly 607ohms. Wired it in place of the sensor and voila! no automatic headlights at start up when it's dark.

Ideally I'd love to have my parking lights turn on automatically at dusk but that would probably require a BCM reprogram right?
Old September 1st, 2009, 1:14 PM
Banned

There's not an option to turn just the parking light on....its either full headlights, or by doing what you have done, no lights at all

why are you not wanting the headlights to turn on?
you could wire a switch to interrupt the headlight circuit, and leave the sunload sensor alone so that the auto lights work as intended, except that the headlights will only work when you turn the switch on
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
There's not an option to turn just the parking light on....its either full headlights, or by doing what you have done, no lights at all

why are you not wanting the headlights to turn on?
you could wire a switch to interrupt the headlight circuit, and leave the sunload sensor alone so that the auto lights work as intended, except that the headlights will only work when you turn the switch on
I initially wanted the parking lights to turn on automatically because I have aftermarket projectors with halos that run off the parking lights so I wanted just the parking lights and halos to come on at dusk.

I wanted to disable the auto headlights because I put HID's in and didn't want the unnecessary headlight start ups such as when I start the car in my garage or in the shade. I did get in the habit of just holding the auto switch in the far left momentary position when starting to avoid the lights from coming on. I also disabled entry and exit lighting via the DIC.

I may just stick with the resistor or use your idea so that I have the option to use the auto lights or not with the flip of a switch.

** one negative side effect I found is that the radio display and the DIC no longer dim at night, they think it's daytime so they stay on full blast and I like to leave all of the interior/gauge lights dimmed all the way down.

Last edited by NYSt8ofMiNd; September 1st, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: **
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:31 PM
Banned

well you can't have your cake and eat it too!