Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Monte Carlo issues

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2009, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monte Carlo issues

Hey all im a newbie here. I havent been able to get some accurate help on the issues with my Mote Carlo Ls. its the 1997 with the 3.1l automatic.

Well let me do a bit of a history on the car. Im the 3rd owner of it. THe first owner gave it to his brother after he had the engine and transmission rebuilt. Well what happend was is the oil pump failed and the engine lost oil pressure and went kaput. So the owner went to a shop and had both the engine and transmission replaced with the same year and model. They dropped everything through the bottom of the car. Then put it all back in. The previus owner drove it around for about 6 months or so.(didnt change oil during this time) So he sold it when he had to put young kids in the back with a bad back. I bought it for 900(tired to make him go to 850,he wouldnt) The car is very sound. But theres a few issues i have with it. Like i have an ABS light that has come one and went off when i added brake fluid. But now its back again(badr relay/noid?). Even tho i changed the oil my change oil light is still on. SO i think ill change it again with my Marvel Mystery oil into it.I have sevral codes that are all emmisions related. As well as my add coolant light(but i cant find any leaks as of now. but if there is perhaps lower hose or headgasket?) I have a vaucme leake at my pcv valve but im going to get the boot for it.

the codes i have are(i dont know the numbers but ill list what i remember)
Cataylst Ineficant Flow(P0440)
EGR Valve insufienct flow

Can anyone help me? i really would like to get my car on the road before march
Old January 22nd, 2009, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

i know its been a few days since this has been posted but, your ABS light is most likely caused by a bad wheel hub. if you can, jack up the car one corner at a time. if you grab the top of the wheel and you can move the top of the wheel back and forth towards and away from you that hub is most likeky bad.
change oil light: i'm not sure how its reset on the 97 but try this, put your key to the acc posistion, press and release the gas pedal three times with in 5 seconds. that should clear that. just because you changed the oil doesnt mean the puter knows that, you have to tell the puter that.
add coolant light: most likely the coolant lavel sensor. i believe its in the radiator somewhere. have you checked the level of coolant in the radiator?

A code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

The gas cap is not installed or working properly
The purge solenoid has failed
The canister is plugged and not working properly

With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid
Check and/or replace the sensor
Check and/or replace the purge valve
Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks

i would say its most likely the purge sloenoid has failed and needs to be replaced. but you did mention you have a vaccuum leak, so fix that first.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Monte Carlo SS

I have a issue with my 2001 Monte Carlo. I'm the original owner and love the car. Recently had to put in a new Mass Airflow Sensor due to failure. The dealership put in 3 so far, now they are saying its missfiring on all 6 cylinders. Not all the time but basically right at the peak load. If i jump on the acceleraltor it seems to be fine untill I try to maintain speed then it starts misfiring. It will eventually smooth out, just annoying. Any thoughts here as to what else it might be?
Old July 5th, 2011, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevrolet monte carlo problems

I'm looking to swap out for a 6.0 and was wondering the difference between the 2 engines, is there any block differences or or head and pistons? I'd like the LQ9 but the LQ4 is alot easier to find and also alot cheaper. Thanks guys
Mike