New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

New member, but I've been around the block a few times

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2023, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, but I've been around the block a few times

This is only my 4th vehicle in probably 45 years, but I've had it the longest. When I was a kid, my father sold Chevys, he was a local president of the auto dealers of this area for a year, so I guess I had a head start there. I got a ride in a Corvette when I was in grade school. He picked me up after school. I believe it was a '64 with the split rear roof IIRC.

Any rate, my first car was a '76 Ford Granada which turned into a major rust bucket (Fix Or Rust Daily). My 2nd was a '81 Plymouth Reliant. Loved the car, far better than the Ford, but that rusted bad, mostly the floor pans which was mostly my fault since I use to wash the carpets often w/o pulling up the mats. The pans rusted from the inside.
The 3rd vehicle was my first used car a '86 (I believe) Dodge Spirit. By far the 'luxurious' car' so far. The interior was really nice, but I did have rust issues there also, but not as bad. I also had the bad luck of two accidents in front of and in the same driveway a couple of years apart, one was a rear ender while making a left turn, the other was parked in the same driveway hit by a driver that fell asleep. I had it repaired and kept it a few year longer until what I have now.

Doing my research again for the 4th time sent me to what I have now, a former 'fleet' vehicle that had known ownership. The Chevy handled better than the Spirit, but it had a center console which I don't like one bit (wastes usable space that can be used for other purposes). But, I found it was removable which I had the dealer do and it basically solved that problem.

So that's it.
Old November 2nd, 2023, 2:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Welcome from Florida. The Corvette with the split window in the rear was a 1963. The only year they made it. What took you so long to get a Chevy?
Old November 2nd, 2023, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I was off by a year. Sorry about that.

With the Ford, there wasn't much else that was offered. I though what GM had was out of date/older models at the time. I didn't know that Ford did a cost cutting move by skipping the rest prevention step(s).
As with the 'K' car, I likes that far more than the 'X' body. I can't really name specifics, but that was my choice.
The Spirit, since I was familiar with Chrysler and I liked the look and feel of the Spirit and I didn't want new anymore, I went with that.
The Classic, I probably researched that the most. One strong factor was it's length. Many of the other similar models were longer and they would have a tight fit in the garage. This was the 1st car that was housed in a garage because I was a property owner at the time, before I was a renter. I wanted to stay with late model used.
Old November 6th, 2023, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.