New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

In the process of buying a used 2003 2500 HD...help!!

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the process of buying a used 2003 2500 HD...help!!

Hello All.

I'm in the process of buying a USED 2003 2500 HD. I am buying it from a dealer. They are a very reputable dealer here in California, also selling Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Porshe and many other high end cars. I took the truck for a test drive yesterday noticing several things that I could see that were wrong.

First and foremost, the check engine light is on, they convinced me that they have an in house mechanic and a mechanic that they work with at the dealership and that they will get it fixed.

Also, the AC needs to be recharged, and some other slight things (dents, stains, etc.)

My first question is, how lienant are dealers to let you take the truck to your own personal mechanic? I don't want to get screwed here.

And some upgrade questions as well! 1. Can I upgrade the steering wheel and get the old one replaced with the newer version with the controls on the wheel? Would that be difficult and extremely expensive?

How can you tell if the truck is calibrated (sp?) for a lift and tires?

How easy would it be to get the new 07' front end put on the 2003 body? I like the grill and headlight system.

At 61,000 miles, can I switch to synthetic oil without major problems?

Anything else you guys can tell me about this truck would be great. I already KBB it and they are selling it with all of the modifications for the same as blue book value.

Thanks so much...Melissa
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: In the process of buying a used 2003 2500 HD...help!!

Welcome to ChevroletForum.com!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any dealer worth a damn will let you take the vehicle to your own mechanic. I took my truck for a 2 day test drive from my dealer.

Remember that there is always going to be another truck, so dont get emotionally tied to it or you will pay. Also try posting you questions in the Silverado section of this forum for more responses. Good Luck
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: In the process of buying a used 2003 2500 HD...help!!

SYNTHETIC OIL AT 63,000 MILES? WELL I WOULD START USUING IT WHEN I HAVE ZERO MILES AND WHEN I HIT 100K I WOULD USE HIGH MILAGE OIL

HIGH MILAGE OIL HAS ADDITIVES THAT CONDITION SEALS AND HELP THE ENGINE

NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU YOU CAN SWITCH BACK AND FORTH FROM SYNTHETIC TO CONVENTIONAL JUST DONT MIX THE TWO

I HAVE A 2002 2500 HD WITH THE 8.1 AND THE ALLISSON 1000 I USE FULL SYNTHICIC AND IT HAS 110K MILES

IT IS AN OIL PIG THOUGH REQUIRES 7 QTS AND I KEEP A EXTRA QUART SO I CHECK IT WHENEVER I FILL UP