S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Brake lights stuck on, please Help

Old September 17th, 2010, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake lights stuck on, please Help

On occasion after I park my truck or when I’m returning to my vehicle I will notice my brake lights are on. If I start it up and press the brake pedal a few times they go off (and appear to operate normally). What would cause this? Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this problem?
Recently I installed an Amp and a subwoofer. I did all the wiring for the project except splicing the hi-lo converter to the stock deck (that I had done at Best Buy). I don’t want to bother the good folks at Best Buy until I have investigated this problem…
thank you
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM
CF Junior Member

It sounds like its either a short in the wiring or your fuse box is acting up. But since you said you were doing wiring i would check and recheck your wiring job. you might have accidently knicked your brake light wires
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into the brake light switch. Look down by the pedal and wiggle the switch you will most likely find the problem.
Old September 18th, 2010, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I poked around near the pedal. Moved around the wire harness etc. The brake light switch appears to be enclosed in a white plastic module.

Heres a few wiring diagrams of what I installed http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3359737/2

My Relay and Inverter tie into an existing ground in the passenger footwell (I pulled a bolt that was used as a ground and added my ground to it) I'm a little concerned that may be the problem...

I'm going to spend some time in the shop manual and see what those grounds do.
Thanks again for your replies
Old September 20th, 2010, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Edit:
The grounds in question are too far foreword and appear to be part of the dashboard wireharness.

I found my brake lights on, this time I pumped the brakes and had a friend watch the lights. After a dozen or so brakes the lights would operate normally. As I continued to pump the brakes they would get stuck on then after a few cycles operate normally etc. My third brake light operated normally throughout the test.
Can I rule out the brake switch? Or is it still suspect?