Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 2500 engine dying on rough terrian/road

Search this Thread

Old Today, 2:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 2500 engine dying on rough terrian/road

Hey all! Long time no see. It's been awhile since I've been here. There are some very smart people here and I wanted to share an issue I'm having with my totally stock 2011 2500 Burb with 138k miles. For the last few years, there have been instances where we'd drive over a speed bump too fast, or really rough asphalt, and the RPMs would start to drop and the motor would die in about 5-7 seconds. It feels similar to when a fuel pump gives up while driving.

This issue is starting to happen more and more frequently. Last weekend I was pulling our boat to Havasu and headed north on HIghway 40. There was some construction and we were diverted to the shoulder and we had to drive on the 'grooved asphalt' on the shoulder. The RPM's started to drop, the engine started to shutter, and she died. I nursed it to the side of the road with the boat in tow (kinda scary), put the car in Park, turned off the key. Waited about 10 seconds, and fired it back up and she ran fine two more hours to Lake Havasu.

This is pretty much what happens... it dies, we put it in Park, turn the key Off, wait 10 seconds and restart, and all is fine. There are no error codes thrown, and this happens in any weather, towing or not towing.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old Today, 2:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue. But hard to diagnose when it is intermittent of course. Next time it dies, BEFORE you turn it off, listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump running. That should be running any time the key is in the ON position.

If you don't hear the pump running back in the gas tank, there is a possibility that you have a wiring issue somewhere on the vehicle, which is triggered by vibration.

Here's my example of that...

I had what I thought was a fuel pump failure on my 1996 C1500 years ago, when the truck was only 8 to 10 years old. It was intermittent, and happened when I hit bumps, etc. I finally pulled the bed off to get to the top of the gas tank without dropping it, and what I found when I pulled the pump out was that the wiring harness on the frame that suspends the pump INSIDE the tank had the two wires to the pump touching, and the insulation had frayed over time (from vibration), and the 12V and GND wires were shorting intermittently, killing the pump, and causing the engine to die. Always freaked me out too, that it was happening INSIDE the tank, above the level of the gas, which is an area full of gasoline vapor. I always was thankful my truck didn't blow up. What surprises me is that no fuses ever blew for the condition. The engine would just cut out.

Last edited by jfmorris; Today at 3:15 PM.
Old Today, 4:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jfmorris Thank you for chiming in. Your description is very similar to what I'm experiencing. I had the Fuel Pump replaced about 3 years ago. And now that I'm thinking about it, I'm now not sure if this issue was happening before I had it replaced. It's too long ago to remember. But maybe it's possible that the wiring was pinched or impacted somehow.

Funny enough... I was pulled my boat to Tahoe 3 years ago and was just outside of Bakersfield, CA on Interstate 5. Lost the fuel pump and had to have the Burb AND the boat towed to the nearest dealership. They fixed the Fuel Pump the next day, but now I'm wondering if they possibly hosed up the wiring somehow.